Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So, I know that babies pull hair and don't know how to grade the force with which they grab onto things, but my ds has some seriously painful hands on him.  He is so intense with his body.  Everything is scratched and squeezed. I know he must really crave that tactile input and that pressure.  He really beats us up, though.  Nursing is getting less pleasant as he is literally slapping my face and chest, pinching that oh so sensitive skin on the ribcage, clawing a my neck....Dh usually reads the bedtime stories after bath while I shovel a little food in my mouth and hydrate for the marathon nurse down.  Yesterday, he had a hard day at work.  When I asked him to start reading the books he said in a super pitiful voice, "But he's gonna scratch my gums and try to dig my eyes out."  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm just wondering if any of you currently have or have had babes with "hurting hands," and how you are dealing with it.  Right now I'm just telling him "gentle hands," and modeling a soft touch for him.  Also when he touches <em>anything</em> softly even a toy, I'm praising and labeling it for him.  I work with OTs, so I know this is a sensory seeking behavior.  I try to do lots of deep pressure, squeezing, joint compressions on him while he's nursing down or whenever he (rarely) is still enough for me to do it while he's playing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any other ideas?  At what point did your little ones really seem to understand the meaning of "gentle hands?"</p>
<p> </p>
<p>TIA</p>

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
<p>My DS is about 7 1/2 months, and though it sounds like your kiddo is a little rougher with his hands, DS can be pretty painful.  I try to keep his nails trimmed close, but my chest and arms are sometimes bruised and frequently scratched from his scratchy, grabby mitts.  I haven't really started trying to teach him about gentle touch yet- I usually just distract him when he's being grabby.  Have you tried a nursing necklace?  I've made several, and DS loves them.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck.  I'm looking forward to reading your other responses for more tips :)</p>

·
Registered
721 Posts
<p>I have a super-scratchy-grabby baby too. He can really do some damage with those little fingers. The biggest things for me are keeping his nails trimmed, I think once a week is ideal although we often go longer than that (as I can see from all the half-moon marks on my poor boobs), and playing with his free hand while nursing. I have a necklace with a big solid pendant that keeps him busy, but sometimes I have to gently hold his hand. He definitely does not seem to understand when I say ouch! and make a sad face.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have a friend whose 9 month old gave him a major bloody nose by jabbing a finger in the nostril. My son has given me a bloody lip. Parenting is hardcore. ;)  I'm also looking forward to suggestions!</p>

·
Registered
466 Posts
<p>I struggle with this too. The biggest thing I make sure I do when I am feeling fed up is cover up: I wear a long-sleeved shirt (pulled up) and a nursing tank (anything to cover the belly) and make sure the non-nursing breast is covered. Which doesn't fix the problem, but it helps me keep from being so frustrated and irritated.</p>

·
Registered
105 Posts
<p>My son is a scratchy one too and he is grabbing our faces :(  i try to keep his nails short but they grow SOOOO stinking fast! he's 5 mo old</p>

·
Registered
84 Posts
<p>My dd is similar, 8 mo. She likes to grab, hard and her favorite thing to do whilst nursing is grab the breast with both hands and push on it while pulling her head back while pushing on me with her feet. OUCH!!! I understand she's a baby, but I think she can also learn. The lower arm is pinched between my arm and ribcage, legs firmly held with the other elbow and the loose hand held with my off hand. I usually let her start out normal and then, when she starts up, say no and hold her in this fashion. We cosleep, so at night, the legs are between mine and the hands confined. I've just recently started this, but it seems to be sinking in. Sometimes now when I say no, she stops on her own. It never seems to bother her to be confined either, thankfully.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Basically, she's learning to not hurt me if she wants to eat,......I hope. I do let her play with other things, necklace, pens, whatever while nursing, but no more playing with me.</p>

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Wow you mamas are so tolerant!! My ds is 3now, but whenever he actually hurt me as a baby, especially if it was a nursing session, the nursing session ended. For at least 5 minutes. I think I had to do that 3-4 times before the behavior nearly stopped. If he hurt me any other time, he got put down and I would stay close, but I didn't hold him if he was actually hurting me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts