Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what should i be doing (if anything) for my baby's six, soon to be eight, teeth? we cosleep and he nurses at night. i had read somewhere to wipe their teeth and gums with gauze, but he HATES this, and i wondered if it was really necessary/important and if there are any alternatives to teeth-cleaning, if it is important.

thanks!

hillary and baby finley

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I do wipe my dd's tooth (she only has one) right after feeding before bed. She hates it, so I make a game of it and she lets me do it. But only having one tooth, its not too hard. She also feeds overnight, so she does get milk on the tooth I would imagine. I don't like the idea of it not being cleaned daily, tho. I am afraid of decay. I have heard of it happening to BF'd babies, not just ff babies. (one lady on another board has a kid who had 17 decayed teeth, she nursed her son for 3.5 years.)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
We used those things that attach to our finger and found our children liked that a lot better than wiping with the cloth which seemed to be drying. We didn't do this after every nursing--mainly just every night before we all went down for the night (even though DS nurses every two hours all night). We did ask our dentist about this and he said that was okay--as long as they are thoroughly cleaned at least once a day.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by treemom2
We used those things that attach to our finger and found our children liked that a lot better than wiping with the cloth which seemed to be drying. We didn't do this after every nursing--mainly just every night before we all went down for the night (even though DS nurses every two hours all night). We did ask our dentist about this and he said that was okay--as long as they are thoroughly cleaned at least once a day.
You made me feel better! (my dd prefers those funky looking finger things as well) Im glad that teeth only really need to be cleaned once a day, since so many babies eat during the night.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is the thing you attach to your finger? sounds great, and better than the dry gauze i've been using.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by barcelona
what is the thing you attach to your finger? sounds great, and better than the dry gauze i've been using.
Here is a picture of what I was talking about--it doesn't give a good pic of the rubber thing with the nubbies, but you will see what it is:
http://naturalbaby.stores.yahoo.net/538511.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts