Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am FINALLY (after 8 years) ripping the much hated wallpaper down in my kitchen. Thankfully it is coming off very nicely.<br><br>
My question is what do you use to wash the walls after removing paper to get any residual paste and gunk off? I've read to use TSP cleaner but I'm wondering if I can just use the vinegar/water solution I'm using to get the paper off? That must kind of dissolve the remaining wallpaper paste.<br><br>
Also, our kitchen cabinets are kind of grungy around the knobs where everyone grabs with their greasy hands. What do you use to clean your cabinets? Ours are stained wood.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with you, I would just use the vinegar /water solution to keep from using TSP. I have white painted cabinet, so everything shows up really well. I use my all-purpose cleaner that I make to clean them. It contains a little washing soda. I think the degreaser-properties of the washing soda help a lot. If you don't have washing soda, you could increase the borax.<br><br>
All-purpose Spray Cleaner: Combine in a spray bottle: 1/2 tsp Washing Soda, 1/2 tsp Borax, 1/2 tsp vegetable oil-based soap, 2 Tbsp vinegar and 2 cups of hot water. Add the soap last, Shake well until all the solid bits have dissolved.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
TSP is horrible. I bought a spray bottle because I was doing some painting. I used it for 2minutes and had to stop. The residual spray was burning my eyes(and I wear glasses). When dh came home he couldn't believe the smell(and he hates that I usually dont' use cleaners). I went to water after that. When my mom(aka, Dad, DH and my brother,lol) painted she used TSP but used the stuff to water down and used rags.<br><br>
I would use anything but tsp. Vinegar should breakdown any residual glue.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
but I had to comment. We are removing the wallpaper that covers our 1981 home (it's in 4 rooms!) and it was put on BARE DRYWALL! What a chore!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try the vinegar. Of course today I didn't even get any more taken down because it's snowing so heavily I'm spending the day shovelling off the driveway!<br><br>
mgilleran (or anyone) - For your all purpose cleaner, what kind of soap do you use? Dish soap? Murphy's oil soap??<br><br>
AuntLavender - What a chore! I'm afraid to take our bathroom wallpaper down for the same reason.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have used Bronner's & even Dawn before I ran out of that. I know it is not natural, but it worked good. Bronner's does too though. I use this spray for everything. I even spray it on the arm pits of shirts before washing to get rid of any smells.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts