Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd went to the ped again today and has another ear infection.
This makes, I think, #12. She got ear tubes after #10 last March and they are working great. However when she went in the ped said her right tube has a ball of wax on it that is preventing it from allowing drainage. Thus the ear infection. I asked if there was a way to remove it and he said he could go in and try to remove it but it would probably pull the tube out, too. I asked about a solution to dissolve it and he said that normally he suggests hydrogen peroxide but with her tubes, it's not a good idea. If it gets into her inner ear through the tube it will be very painful.

Any ideas? I thought you mamas might be able to come up with something.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Plain warm (NOT HOT) water. http://www.drgreene.com/21_497.html

The no water in the ear is a myth, unless your child proves sensitive. Maybe some fun in a clean bath tub with NO soap. Maybe occassional water bathes to keep the ears clean.

Other article (I'm not digging for at 1:45 AM) talk about it being the soap in the water that cause issue.

Oh, my dd had ear wax a few times and never had issues when the ENT carefully cleaned it out. I think that was your doctors way of saying he isn't qualified to do it.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I will try the warm water today. Her ENT said it's okay for her to take a bath and go swimming as long as it's clean water. He's pretty cool. I don't know why I didn't think to call the ENT for her ear wax problem.
I am just used to seeing the ped for almost everything. I called and made an appt. for next week, in case the warm water doesn't work.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobica
good luck!!! we may be heading down this road soon ourselves
i hope the ENT can clear it out!
I'm sorry your dc is having ear troubles.
I tell you what, those tubes work so great (when they are not clogged that is). I have no regrets at all except I wish we had put them in sooner. Her hearing improved instantly and she was a happy baby again. And no more antibiotics!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.