Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, how do you fix a latch in a baby that's been going on a while? Just keep unlatching them????? Grace has clicked since birth. Like the click that comes from loss of suction and loss of latch and it's quite annoying and semi painful. I let it happen in the beginning because I was desperate to get her to nurse and get off the bottle(former 33week preemie) but now she's 9 weeks(2 past her due date) and I really really want her to be done with this horrible clicking. Sometimes it's every suck, sometimes it's only every few sucks. But I don't know how to fix it. I'm sure it's not thrush or a palate issue or tongue tie. I think it's just her lazy shallow latch that I've let her learn to have.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hiya, my twins started doing this when they where 2-3 wks old i just took them of and reoffered the boob after a few weeks this improved and by 3 months stopped completely.<br><br>
hth and well done on breastfeeding a preemie

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I think with preemies it just takes some time for them to learn how to latch and suck well. I'm impressed that you're nursing a 33 weeker - dd was on a nipple shield for several weeks (well past her EDD). She clicked too...<br><br>
For us, and this is just my experience, introducing a pacifier made a pretty notable improvement to her latch. We did it on the advice of an LC when she was maybe 9 or 10 weeks actual age. She did this tongue humping thing (humped up the back of her tongue - causing the click and pain for me). The pacifier (we use Mam) had the bulb shaped thing that held her tongue down so she learned to suck that way. I would not try this without consulting an LC first, but it did help us significantly and pretty quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts