Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. DD was born naturally at 37 weeks and has been a strong, interested nurser from the start. Her latch was lousy, though... We struggled with damaged nipples, finger/tongue exercises, and a nipple shield; and at 2 weeks she had regained her birth weight, but the latch was still uncomfortable, so the LC checked her out and diagnosed a tongue-tie. We went to an experienced ENT and had her posterior tie clipped 5 days ago, but for the life of me I can't fix this latch!<br><br>
I have nipple flattening with the ridge, and enough discomfort to make this something I want to fix. DD slips off the nipple frequently, and she loses suction with the "click" every suck. When we do the finger exercises, she does seem to keep ger tongue out now (whereas she didn't before the clip), but when she pauses, her tongue slips back and she clamps down.<br><br>
I just don't know what to do! FWIW, I do think she's gaining weight well, lots of diapers, but more spit-up and gas than my first DD had... is that latch-related? Advice??

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I'm sorry that you are still in pain, as regards the latch - perseverance is the thing, the muscle has just newly been released and still needs to get used to it's new freedom as such!! Because the muscle has been 'tied' down it's not used to the ability to move it, so therefore will still be compensating for the tie which is no longer there - it takes dedication and is rather time consuming - being very rigid about positioning etc and it can take a while, - not meaning to discourage you in any way - sorry, however this website maybe of interest to you <a href="http://www.biologicalnurturing.com" target="_blank">www.biologicalnurturing.com</a> which can help babies latch on better - for all sorts of problems, the other thing is you may want to bathe with baby to re-install the brithing process - almost like a new start and nurse using the biological nurturing position in the bath, soft low lighting, nice and warm and things should go well. Hope that things work themselves out well but its not going to rectify overnight and certainly needs time - good luck!!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Congrats on getting the tie clipped! I and an LC suspect that my LO has a posterior tie, but I can't find anyone around here to clip it. So we're struggling through the clicking and latch dropping, and I'm not sure how it's going to be resolved.<br><br>
So I don't have any advice. But I do have some questions, if you don't mind. Did your LO act frustrated when they lost their latch? At what age did you have the tie clipped?

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, ewe... that is helpful because so many have acted like the difference should be immediate, but I think we have some retraining to do. That website looks great, and I'm going to try to start fresh again!<br><br>
Thanks Jen... obviously I'm a bit torn on getting her clipped since I was hesitant to do it and it hasn't helped yet! DD was 2.5 weeks when we got her clipped and is only 3 weeks old now. She does not act frustrated when she falls off... in fact, it almost seems like part of the fun to pop on and off, suck on the nipple tip, etc.<br><br>
The LC mentioned she has a high palate (consistent with a posterior tie) and thought that might be part of the reason why it's hard to maintain the latch. She also suggested a chiropractor and/or craniosacral therapy to help loosen her jaw, but I don't feel that she's really "tight" and that these would help. hmm...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts