Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-hoping some midwives can chime in on this one!

I have a client, 19 weeks, who has been experiencing pelvic pressure & back pain for the past 10 days or so...when she mentioned this to me I advised her to call her OB. She went to the OB today and she checked her cervix and it's anterior. She said that it felt thick and it was closed but the only way to tell the length was with a t/v ultrasound. She's having that done on Friday (client has had one previous pregnancy, full term babe). Just one baby in there and no medications or known risk factors for PTL.

Why would a cervix be anterior at this point in pregnancy? Is it common for the cervix to change positions and not be a sign of cervical change (preterm labor?)

TIA for any thoughts or experiences.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
it could be completely based on baby's position. I hesitate with cervical u/s because the length varies so much woman to woman - her cervix could appear short, but yet she could go to 43 weeks! (well, not likely with an OB, but you get what I'm talkin' about...)

I would think that as long as she is not having regular contractions that are opening her cervix, I would leave well enough alone. Many women, especially after their first baby, experience such symptoms.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! I had no idea that baby's position could have that kind of influence on a cervix but it does make sense. I can't tell you how many women I have talked to who said they had frequent BH and pressure during pregnancy and were never checked, so who really knows when the cervix begins to move forward.

43 weeks with an OB--thanks for the laugh! ha ha

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I checked myself throughout my last pregnancy, and I definitely noticed shifting in my cervix. It was never fully anterior until labor, though, but sometimes it was in the middle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts