Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old should babies be before you start them on CLO? I can't find anything anywhere about that.

I used to have a book by Lendon Smith that had recommendations, but I loaned it to a friend and it disapeared.
Bummer because it's out of print now.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I don't know. (that was helpful, huh!) I started my last babe (the first one to get it so early) around 9 months. My older children were on flax oil by then, also. I would think that as long as you are taking it regularly and eating pretty well that your baby would get the important bits from your BM.

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
I have been trying to decide myself... here is the WP answer:

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/nourish-baby.html

Quote:
Around four months is a good time to start offering cod liver oil, which is an excellent source of the omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA (also important for brain develoment) as well as vitamins A and D. Start with a 1/4 teaspoon of high-vitamin cod liver oil or 1/2 teaspoon regular dose cod liver oil, doubling the amount at 8 months.12 Use an eye dropper at first; later baby can take cod liver oil mixed with a little water or fresh orange juice.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I thought children where only supposed to get 1/4 teaspoon high vitamin CLO a day. 1/2 t HVCLO seems like a lot for an 8 month old espcially if the BFing mom is taking it too. I also thought that 1/2 t was the maintenence dose for an adult.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.