Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right forum. dd2 has spilled some CLO (cod liver oil) on a few of her shirts and the smell has not washed out, even after several washes. I use a homemade laundry detergent btw. I tried putting vinegar on one of the shirts before washing and that didn't work. I do have a stain stick from Shout here, would it work? I don't want to throw the clothes away, but the odor is not pleasant now. From the bottle the CLO is tasty and not fishy at all, but this is a very fishy odor.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Ugh, that's yucky. I once got some regular fish oil squirted on a pair of pants and the stain is still there. Maybe try some Dawn dishsoap, you know like for stripping cloth diapers?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Yeah, I'd try a dish detergent. Like Dawn. Those are designed to cut grease and oils, so they're perfect for oil-based stains. FWIW, though, if it's been dried in the dryer, it may be too late to really get the oil off. I find oily stains very hard to remove once things have been dried.<br><br>
If there's no stain, just the smell, you might try putting the shirt in full sun for an afternoon and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah its the smell. We don't mind the oily stain. It is the smell. I did dry one of them in the dryer (there are 3 affected shirts). I now give her CLO to her naked. I will try the sun. Should they be wet?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I have never been able to get rid of the fishy smell in clo stains, and I find that it makes other items in the wash/dryer smell fishy too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts