Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little back ground info first....My dh's count is low and I've got one side not working and to conceive dd we took clomid and had IUI and conceived the very first cycle.

Fast forward ... its now time to bring on the clomid again and I have the option to take the clomid and just try on our own for a cycle or two or go straight for the IUI. I'm 35 & at this rate will surely be 36 by the time baby is due.

I'm not sure what I want to do???? Part of me wants to just hurry up and conceive and do the IUI, but part me wants it to feel more natural this time around, kwim?

Anyone do clomid and then rely on nature with known issues? And have success? I'm not sure of the dose they are putting me on, but if I recall they start you off low and move up with every cycle or two??

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I think I would be tempted to do the IUI with the clomid. This coming from someone who hasn't managed to conceive even with all the working parts due to dh's low count/motility. Wait, do you have motility issues? From what I understand, your odds would be better if counts were your only problem.
From what you wrote though, I think you have a bit of a gut feeling that you should just try the clomid on it's own first. Why not give yourself one month, or three, whatever you and dp decide, with only the clomid? In the big picture, an extra month or three isn't going to affect things overly much.
Interestingly enough, we are having to decide if we will do an IUI on its own or add the clomid as well. With no known female factors, the clomid seems overkill, but it does increase the chances, so... Very similar situation. I think we've decided to go with the clomid, because we have decided we are comfortable with multiples and are just itching to get pregnant NOW! Sounds like you might feel ok about waiting another month or two though.
Let us know what you decide, and I'll have my fingers crossed for you.
Katia

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Clomid can cause hostile mucous, which can prevent the sperm from making it, so I would go with the IUI if you can afford it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'd recommend going with the IUI as well. Sperm washing with IUI can help with a lot of male factor issues, including morphology and motility, not just count. It'll help get the swim team up to where it needs to be faster by bypassing the cervix completely. I saw a diagram of the life cycle of the sperm and just passing the cervix alone greatly reduces the numbers and they continue to decrease as they head toward the fallopian tubes until only a small fraction remain to actually penetrate the egg.

Not to mention, it worked for you the first time. I can understand wanting to be more "natural", but if you need IUI to conceive, take advantage of it. There's no reason to put yourself through unnecessary sadness over repeated BFNs. However, if you want to throw caution to the wind and try normally with just Clomid for a cycle or two... do what's in your heart!

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I would do the IUI too. You really shouldn't be on clomid for more than 3-4 months in a row, and I wouldn't want to spend any extra time on it myself. I can understand the temptation to try in a simpler way, but most people have a *harder* time ttc the second (or more) time (you're older, your hormones are different, etc.), and I would go with what worked last time if you're set on using clomid again.

If you're really wanting to try some natural cycles, I would wait on the clomid as well, and try acupuncture instead. I conceived my twins with clomid and IUI (donor sperm), and my current pregnancy with acupuncture, chinese herbal medicine, and IUI (same sperm).

HTH!

Lex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.