Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am at the store the other day and I see a mama I had helped with BFing in the formula section. So, I go to say hi and see what is up. So, as I am talking to her I glance at the formula cans and see this banner across one of them that says something like "closest to breastmilk" and of course I get made because here is a great example of poor marketing and I think to myself yea that is like saying on a pack of cigarettes " closest to oxygen". Or what about the "breastfeeding success bags" some doctors/hospitals hand out with a book for nursing and a full can of formula. I equate that to a stop smoking success bag. It has nicorette patches and a pack of smokes just in case you can't quit!!!!

Don't people see how the marketing of formula is destroying mothers and babies.

I was watching the news and it showed a picture of a Mother in Lebanon with a week old baby with a bottle of formula. It broke my heart because the Mama is in a bad situation and isn't even BFing. Why I don't know.

I guess I am just venting about the marketing of formula.

Of course I realize formula has it's place after Mother, other Mother, milkbank and then formula. I am not bashing formula I am venting about the marketing of it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hby
So I am at the store the other day and I see a mama I had helped with BFing in the formula section. So, I go to say hi and see what is up. So, as I am talking to her I glance at the formula cans and see this banner across one of them that says something like "closest to breastmilk" and of course I get made because here is a great example of poor marketing and I think to myself yea that is like saying on a pack of cigarettes " closest to oxygen". Or what about the "breastfeeding success bags" some doctors/hospitals hand out with a book for nursing and a full can of formula. I equate that to a stop smoking success bag. It has nicorette patches and a pack of smokes just in case you can't quit!!!!

Don't people see how the marketing of formula is destroying mothers and babies.

I was watching the news and it showed a picture of a Mother in Lebanon with a week old baby with a bottle of formula. It broke my heart because the Mama is in a bad situation and isn't even BFing. Why I don't know.

I guess I am just venting about the marketing of formula.

Of course I realize formula has it's place after Mother, other Mother, milkbank and then formula. I am not bashing formula I am venting about the marketing of it.
I would of loved to pipe in ya too bad its not as close to breastmilk as they would like you to believe. Its very sad I know.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I saw on a can in Target "So much like breastmilk in so many ways."

Someone on here used to have a signature that said something like saying formula is like breastmilk is like turing a 350 degree oven down to 250 degrees and saying your oven is now like a freezer.

It's so sad that so many people believe this stuff. The health of so many babies is damaged by this marketing. It's truly appalling.

Sus

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I just got a sample can (Dang BRU!!!) And it says "Our Closest Formula to Breast Milk" I love how they make Breastmilk 2 words...

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama24-7
I saw on a can in Target "So much like breastmilk in so many ways."

Someone on here used to have a signature that said something like saying formula is like breastmilk is like turing a 350 degree oven down to 250 degrees and saying your oven is now like a freezer.

It's so sad that so many people believe this stuff. The health of so many babies is damaged by this marketing. It's truly appalling.

Sus
And then turning it down to 105, and marketing it as MOST LIKE or CLOSEST TO a freezer.

Sure. In comparison to, say, the surface of the sun. So an oven at 105 won't bake your food the way the surface of the sun will, but it won't exactly preserve it as long as a deep freeze, either.

(In this analogy, mother's milk straight from mother's breast would be, what, absolute zero? Just doesn't get any colder/better than that.
)

·
Registered
729 Posts
this is why I like babys only. right on the front of the can it says "toddler formula" and on the back it tells you why: " because all babies need breastmilk, use only with a doctors care if your baby is under 12 months" (paraphrased because there is a sleeping baby on my lap and I cant get up to get a can).

they also dont advertise their formula at all. I have seen ads for their juice and stuff, but never formula.

if I have to give my money to formula. I will give it to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.