Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a seminar or something on the mama closing after birth...how birth leaves her open physically and emotionally, and what to do in that open postpartum stage and how to "close" or some other term for completing her healing physically, and for being grounded and less vulnerable emotionally. Anyone know what this is all about? If you've got any info or resources, please share!

· Registered
2,066 Posts
not really anything specific for you, but i get what you are talking about. i believe most cultures traditionally had rituals that were performed to help encourage the mother's body to heal, and allowed her to get plenty of rest pp.

· Registered
5,511 Posts
the Brazilian midwife I use to work with wrote an article for Midwifery Today- several years ago- on Sobada --- she learned from some grandmas to do massage and mom Squeezing- as well as binding -
I think that there were some foods- but I cant recall now
I know that there are certain macrobiotic foods served post partum like carp soup...

oh I should have written her name- Maria Cadaxa- is who wrote the article

· Registered
341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
the Brazilian midwife I use to work with wrote an article for Midwifery Today- several years ago- on Sobada --- she learned from some grandmas to do massage and mom Squeezing- as well as binding -
I think that there were some foods- but I cant recall now
I know that there are certain macrobiotic foods served post partum like carp soup...
This was the first thing I thought of too. I found that story looking up binding. FWIW, I am binding after this baby for vanity and comfort reasons, (and I think it makes sense) but I need to look into the rest of the massage. It was very interesting, the way she described the squeezing...to push the mama back together.

· Registered
1,409 Posts
Some australian aboriginal tribes smoke the woman and baby with pitury plant (sacred or magical plants is the best translation) to protect her from negative influences, i can try and find the doco i saw on it if you want. PM if interested and i will give it a go. sorry nak

· Registered
16,782 Posts
specifically about birthing, i haven't thought about it, thought it makes a LOT of sense.
I used to do a lot of rebirthing (a kind of cathartic breathing meditation for releasing emotional traumas), and it was relaly important to properly 'close' the ceremony. i found that if i didnt close it properly, i'd often get sick.
we usually do something like holding hands and chanting AUM with an intention of closing the circle and closing the energy, thanking whatever spirits were around to help, etc.
burning sage is good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.