Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Mamas.

I have had my baby girl in cloth diapers since this morning. This is our first day using them. I only have 6 complete sets so 5 are in the dryer as I type. I'm trying out all my samples. More diapers are on the way!

I was wondering if my cloth diaper expectations are too low. I am happy that we only had one leak today. When I open her diapers, I can feel the wetness on the cloth which would be next to her skin. The inside of the diaper covers have been slightly damp. I'm happy that her little bum was cool to the touch a little while ago. I was nursing her and slipped my fingers into the back of the diaper to touch her cheeks and see if she was hot. I'm okay with all that, but should I be?

Should the cloth next to her skin be wet? Will using fleece next to her skin keep her dry? Should the covers be getting damp? Am I not putting enough stuff in the diaper which would keep the inside of the covers from being damp?

What expectations should I be reaching for as far as cloth diapering goes?

Weird questions, but as I was hanging laundry to dry they came to me so I brought them to you.

PDe

Edited because I didn't care for the way one sentence might have sounded.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Well, I think it's up to you whether you go the polyesther fleece route to keep baby's skin feeling dry. Personally, I would rather have my baby's skin feel a bit damp than to put poly right up against her most sensitive parts. Others prefer fleece to their baby's skin feeling damp.

As for the cover getting a bit damp, I think that's pretty normal. If the whole diaper is soaked after just a single pee you probably need a more absorbent diaper. Otherwise you could just try changing a bit more frequently. That said even when I change DD right after she wets there will usually still be a damp spot on the outside of her diaper and on the cover where the damp spot touched. And we use pretty absorbent dipes. Most of the diaper will still be completely dry when I change her but still a damp spot on the cover. LOL!!

As for leaks, I would have been happy with only one leak the first day, but now leaks are a real rarity around here. I use fitteds and covers and *knocking on wood* can't remember the last time we had a leak in cloth.

Happy cloth diapering to you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
like you are doing great! All of that sounds normal to me. I think fleece is a YMMV kind of thing. The fleece will still be wet, it just doesn't feel as wet. I personally could never tell a difference on the skin itself. The skin always felt damp to me either way.

Amy

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
What kind of diapers are you using? I have found that even without fleece inside, some fabrics do a better job of wicking moisture into the body of the diaper so baby's skin isn't against sopping cloth. Hemp is good for this.

I agree that fleece is a personal choice - we use it sometimes, sometimes not. If I know it will be a while before I change him again, like if we're going grocery shopping or he's going down for a nap, I use a fleece liner. Otherwise I don't.

Some diapers tend to wick wetness out to the outside where the cover will get damp, and some tend to keep it inside so the outer part doesn't feel damp but baby's bottom gets clammy. Like, Freshies IMO keep it in, while Fireflies suck it out to the outer layers.

I'm sure this is clear as mud, lol.
: I guess what I'm trying to say is the wet has to go somewhere, so you are right in having expectations that the diaper is going to feel damp someplace. It's still a liquid, it hasn't been magically transformed into gel by the Huggies fairy. So at least it's an honest wet, lol. It's up to you to decide where you want it to go, either with liners or inner soakers or whatever.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I personally prefer not to have diaper inners be fleece because a) I think it makes for a less absorbant diaper (since most people replace a layer of absorbant fabric with the fleece) b) they are more bulky and c) I like the option of having or not having fleece near DS' bum since my mood varies.

I do like to have fleece topped doublers though. I think they stay in place better than fleece liner and I put fleece on one side only so if I want to use the doubler without the fleece I can just flip it over

Everything you are describing sounds pretty normal. Cloth won't keep skin feeling "super dry" they way disposables do...but to me that is one of their selling features. I want to change DS when he is wet rather than let him sit in it.

HTH

Steph

·
Registered
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by famousmockngbrd
It's still a liquid, it hasn't been magically transformed into gel by the Huggies fairy.
is that the same fairy that drops off the disposable diapers to the stores? ever read those stupid articles about how cloth is just as bad for the environment because they are hauled around in big trucks from the diaper services?
:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I personally love pocket diapers because they are an AIO that comes apart for easy washing. I have no problem with fleece against my baby's bottom (its better than chemical laden bleached paper) but I find after a new diaper is used a couple of times, the fleece never works as well (perhaps with the exception of the one Angel Wraps QD AIO I have). I dont notice much of a difference from using a prefold to be honest.

I just love Happy Heinys for more than the fleece liner. They meet our needs in lots of ways - easy to wash, quick to dry, trim, nice colours, well made and velcro closure. If the fleece keeps her a teeny tiny bit drier than another type of diaper well that's just a bonus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts