Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been planning on all pocket diapers or possibly flip diapers because i don't like folding prefolds and fastening but then had a thought-can you just fold a prefold into thirds and lay it in a wrap cover? if so what covers work well-bumkins, thirsties?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You sure can - I never bothered folding them. I used wool (snappi to hold the cloth together, would fold the prefold into thirds and then sort of pull out the back sides to wrap around baby) or any basic Velcro cover, like bum
genius.

·
Registered
581 Posts
yup! I never used fasteners on my prefolds as long as the covers werent pull on. I used bummies whisper wraps. This time i am using snappis as most of my covers are wool pull ons.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I have heard Thirsties Duo wrap referred to as an "all in two" because you stuff it with an insert.

http://www.diaperco.com/store/p/497-...Duo-Wraps.html

We just got a few of these and I LOVE them. DD has a tricky leg to tummy ratio so she will often leak in other brands but the Thirstees gusseted legs are phenomenal. I am about to order a few more b/c 1. I have a diaper addiction; and 2. they really are fabulous.

That said, I definitely did us a snappi on prefolds as I preferred it but DH did not.

As for wraps, I again am a big fan of Thirstees as the legs are just so great. They held in many an infant poop explosion as we hustled to change baby girl. We have a few Bummis but I don't like them as much.

Thirstees and Bummis are definitely the most popular though so I don't think you will go wrong either way

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I use some pocket diapers (Fuzzi Bunz mostly) that I'm too lazy to strip. So I just lay the folded in thirds prefold on top of it and snap it up! No need for a fastener at all. I've also done it with my prorap covers as well and it worked just fine. Dh always likes a tighter fit though, so he'll use a snappi with the cover.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I also wanted to put in a plug for Litewraps covers. They are pretty inexpensive, and with Kissaluv newborn fitted dipes, we never had a blowout with DD1.
I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I also wanted to put a plug in for Wool covers! I used the PUL kind with DS but am switching over to wool with this little one

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I had no problem tri-folding a prefold into a velcro cover (we liked Bummis Super Whisper Wraps) while baby wasn't mobile. Once baby was moving, I prefer the security of using a snappi.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
We also had no problem using prefolds solo with the BSWW... BUT poops frequently escaped to the wraps (not out of the wraps and onto the clothes, fortunately), and that was a pain because I didn't have that many wraps. I found that with the snappis, the poop didn't make it out of the prefolds, so I wasn't handwashing wraps all day long.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by oliviab View Post
I also wanted to put a plug in for Wool covers! I used the PUL kind with DS but am switching over to wool with this little one

We use wool covers at night--they are the best!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I use GMD prefolds with my hand knit wool covers. Snappi's on the diapers underneath. Cheapest solution for us.

I do also use Thirsties Duo's and just fold whatever size GMD prefolds fits best in thirds and lay them in. There's a ton of great info on folding different ways/techniques and how to make them fit in various covers and on various shaped babies. This advice is great for any prefold, not just their brand, and it's got wonderful pictures as well and helped me a ton when I was new to the game!

Here's a link: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm#fold

Hope that helps some!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starfish11 View Post
Green Mountain diapers taught us all we need to know, too
We are ordering prefolds from them tomorrow.
oooo yay that's exciting! I have a whole list of diapers and accessories I want to order from them. Mostly the smaller sizes because I didn't find them until DS was over a year. I cannot wait to cross that off "the list" and have them home, washed and all fluffy and quilted...what is it about fluffy soft new diapers that is SO addicting???

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yes. It's pretty easy but very bulky, especially on a newbie.

AI2 are my favorite kind of diaper. AIOs have the absorbent part sewn into the diaper. That's convenient b/c it looks and acts like a sposie. AI2s have the absorbent part on top of the waterproof part. The absorbent part is usually attached to the waterproof part in 1 or 2 areas but it is mostly free. That makes them easier to get clean and quicker to dry. I also HATE stuffing pocket diapers.

I'm excited about trying the Flips b/c they look awesome, like a combo of the best parts of prefolds/covers and AI2s. My favorite AI2s when I was CDing were Bumgenius Organic and Blue Penguin Sposoeasy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.