Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for some resources for cloth diapering Italy. I have purchased some cloth diapers and inserts online...though since we have just moved here from the United States, I am unfamiliar with where to buy many items I'd have easily found back home, such as old wool sweaters, birds eye cotten prefolds and squares. I thought I would just make some woolie covers myself if I could find a thrifty place to purchase such items.

Does anyone know of where to buy these sorts of things in Genoa? I've also realized, I'm not even sure where to buy wipes... at a thrifty price... LOL. (no really!) I have heard of making your own wipes, which I would try, if I could find the supplies.

I have asked around at baby stores I have visited. I have been referred to the pharmacia.. where they do carry disposable diapers... and also referred to "Prenatal" Store although the type of washable diaper they carry is terry cloth and they seem a bit complicated... i.e. the liner and the "diaper" part is all one piece and seem a mess to wash, and plus they do not carry any sort of cover for them.

I hoping to make some Mother connections in my area... someone with experience shopping
Maybe we can share advice.

Thanks! Amy

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Amy,

I didn't read this post first so I replied on the other post about "thrifty" places to shop. The only place I've seen cloth diapers here is at the health food stores. One cloth diaper is like 20 euro??? I've ordered a bulk pack of the bum genius that will hopefully last me. I would go for trying to make some if you can find some thrifty materials. Good luck, I hope you are able to find some other mamas in your area.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts

Hi Amy,
I lived in Firenze for 2 years so I can completely relate to the frustration of finding anything you need! I think I remember seeing baby wipes at the Coop supermarket. Do you have one near you? Their prices are usually pretty good, especially at the IperCoops or larger ones. I used to have a link to a website run by an english speaker for organic baby supplies in Italy, but it looks like the domain expired
. I have seen a small natural baby store in Firenze that sold Imse Vimse diapers and doublers and other things. I would suggest just asking around any local mamas you might know for this kind of store. Or try a Google maps search for example "bambini near (your address)" or something like that.
If you knit, you could try knitting your own woolies. I did that in Italy, cuz the wool yarn was easy to come by at the fierucola market and online patterns are free

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi, I just saw your message...haven't ever visited this board before! anyway i live in cogoleto (about half hour from genova) and we liked Babyfarma (i think that's how you spell it) they seemed to have things for babies that were hard to find elsewhere...its near the ipercoop up the road from ikea. we are out of diapers (our youngest is 3 1/2) so i didn't cloth diaper here but if anyone had something it would be them! hope you are doing well here, we have been here 3 years and sometimes i love it and sometimes i don't...but if you would ever like to get together for a tea or a chat, there is only one other american girl in this area that i know, she has a 4yo and 1yo, we have 10yo, 9yo, 6yo and 3.5yo...you can send me a message. take care! michelle p.s. i hope you put new baby in a sling, it's loads of fun to see the reactions of people here! maybe in genova they are more used to seeing it, but in my little town??? it was funny!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.