Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that CDing is the only way for us...
however...

My gag reflex is so trigger happy right now I am considering asking someone to help me wash them! It is brutal! (btw, DH is gone with work all week)

Any suggestions? Does anyone have a gas mask I can borrow? The rubber smell inside the mask would probably make me sick too! My body is telling me to stay away from excrement... what's a momma to do?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stillill View Post
Let me start by saying that CDing is the only way for us...
however...

My gag reflex is so trigger happy right now I am considering asking someone to help me wash them! It is brutal! (btw, DH is gone with work all week)

Any suggestions? Does anyone have a gas mask I can borrow? The rubber smell inside the mask would probably make me sick too! My body is telling me to stay away from excrement... what's a momma to do?
TTO smell it before you start to wash it'll linger in your nose

also incense near the diapers and baking soda too. I used to PUKE while changing diapers, and they weren't *that* bad.

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
You know what, this is for something totally different, but it might work. Depending on how you feel about the smell of Vick's Vaporub, you could put a little of that inside your nostrils before you change/wash the diapers.

I actually learned this trick from a bunch of nurses in my college town's emergency room; they do this From Thursday to Sunday because the whole place smells like throw-up from all the alcohol-poisoned kids they get. Sad, but true! And very practical.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ha - Tofu - that's how I got through anatomy, 6 months of dissection. Either Vicks or anything else strong smelling, smear it on your upper lip, kinda in your nostrils. The menthol things last longer. I imagine tea tree oil would last quite a while, too, but I never tried that.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I just wimped out and bought sposies
: DD is doing teething poo at the moment and I just can't face changing proper nappies.

·
Registered
688 Posts
While pg, I couldn't bear the smell of diapers. They made me gag, and I didn't know how I would handle the baby. After he was born, my sense of smell changed. Now, HIS diapers smell just fine. It's other babies that smell (to me.) Nature has a way of making sure you can mother your own baby. It will get better!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I hope you didn't put TTO directly in your nostrils! That's really strong stuff at full concentration, and nasal tissues are really sensitive. But putting it into your soak water first will make the smell permeate the room, or you could even put some on a wipe and keep waving it in front of your nose.

I hope the masking smell helped, though!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but what we've been doing is frequent rinses.
Everyday, I will take the dipes down to the washer and do a small, cold rise with a little soap. Then I take the dipes out of the washer and put them in a pail downstairs near the washer. Then after about 3 days, I do a "real" wash. They have very little smell at that point.

Good Luck!
--LEE

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
You know what, this is for something totally different, but it might work. Depending on how you feel about the smell of Vick's Vaporub, you could put a little of that inside your nostrils before you change/wash the diapers.

I actually learned this trick from a bunch of nurses in my college town's emergency room; they do this From Thursday to Sunday because the whole place smells like throw-up from all the alcohol-poisoned kids they get. Sad, but true! And very practical.

yep yep works like a charm. Aidan had teething poop last week that made me gag and I have A IRON STOMACH.. so yes vicks was my savior!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rubbed the TTO with a little lotion and dabbed it outside my nose....
I only gagged and salivated a lot when the ammonia wafted up when the hot water hit it. Overall, not bad... I'm glad it's over with, until next time.

I was talking to my sister on the phone which seemed to help as a distraction. She was afraid I would get sick while talking to her and then she would be sick (she is in her 2nd trimester).

Thanks for getting me through it ladies...

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Teething poop has the consistency of sludge, and a disgusting aroma. This is the stuff that gets a whole mother-toddler group turning to look at you and demanding to know what you're feeding your child when they smell it (on the other side of the church hall). It's disgusting.
And yes, we use flushable liners. I'm still not feeling up to changing proper nappies, though.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Teething poop has the consistency of sludge, and a disgusting aroma. This is the stuff that gets a whole mother-toddler group turning to look at you and demanding to know what you're feeding your child when they smell it (on the other side of the church hall). It's disgusting.
And yes, we use flushable liners. I'm still not feeling up to changing proper nappies, though.
yeah paper liners don't work for us.. it goes right through it like a sieve... I've switched over to putting what I have left of my Gdiaper inserts and those seem to catch it all rather than liners. I just can't justify spending so much for them again. I got them off craigslist last year for cheap!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.