Mothering Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cloth diapered my oldest two boys but donated all my newborn diapers, given they were 8 years old and not in the best shape anyway I was probably due for some new ones. Anyway, what are your favorite diapers for newborns? I'm so overwhelmed by the choices this time around. I have a stash of Chelory, but they are too big for a newborn and I prefer fitted diapers for infants. The ones I used for my last two were the kissaluvs fitted, but I am wanting to try something different? Anyone have some recommendations?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi
I gave all my cloth diapers away too! My kids are 14, 12, and 9- so the diapers had seen better days! well now pregnant with number four and I will probably use the ones I used with the others. Mother-ease were great. They have diapers that fit newborn to toddler- just by adjusting the snaps.
i'm happy to answer any questions

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am in diaper land right now! Going through my son's stash and I ordered newborn all in ones / pockets from a coop on Facebook. I never had newborn size diapers with my son, we used disposables at that stage, but the coops have good deals so I bought some to use before baby will fit into the one size fits all variety.

Last time I tried everything, but I liked flats with pul covers the best, and then pocket diapers once my son started walking. I don't think I'll mess with the flats this time, but I'm holding onto them for now. I got some AIOs (thx and happy flute) from a coop already and they look pretty good.

I just wonder if we'll have any success with nighttime cloth with a girl, it never worked with my son and I tried everything--wool, doublers, hemp, Sherpa, bamboo, etc etc. luckily he stopped peeing at night early on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just wonder if we'll have any success with nighttime cloth with a girl, it never worked with my son and I tried everything--wool, doublers, hemp, Sherpa, bamboo, etc etc. luckily he stopped peeing at night early on.
I used thegoodmama's 'the one' I think it was or good nights for my son during the night with a PUL cover, though it can be used without a cover and it worked the best out of any diaper I have ever tried for nights. I keep checking her site and it doesn't seem she is making as many anymore though last time I looked she still had some left, just not as big of selection as usual. I think the site is thegoodmama.com

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just got my diaper stash back from my SIL and was looking through it this weekend!

Last time for newborn stage I used GMD orange edge refolds and covers. I also had a few kissaluvs fitteds. This time I'll have the same except for the addition of flats, plus a few GMD workhorse fitteds.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I cloth diapered / early potty trained my kids (10, 7 and 3.5 yo now), but we moved when my youngest was 7 months old, so I don't have any newborn size diapers either. I prefer fitted diapers, and I love bamboo for overnight. My favorite brand was tot bots :)
I was looking through websites and found some I like, so I guess I'm gonna buy 5-10 in newborn size before the baby is born.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love using prefolds for babies, up until they get squirmy and I need to be quicker with their diaper changes - 6mos, maybe? We use the orange and yellow edge GMDs with velcro Thirsties covers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I see a lot of you are prefold and fitteds fans too!

What covers did you like best? Like @kcandco I liked the thirsties (I had the xs with Velcro). I also had a bummis but it seemed a little stiff. I also had a size one thirsties duo which was nice bc it fit after the xs was too small, but the fit wasn't as great. I think I have a total of 5 covers and would like to get one more (5 was doable last time but I think one more would be great).

Any recs? Econobum newborn covers are $9 on Kelly's closet. Has anyone used those? OS Econobum and flips have been my go tos for DS since he was out of newborn.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Oh goodness, you guys gave me the diaper bug. For my husbands sake I have tried to avoid looking at them, but now I can't stop.

I brought in our old diapers and washed them all up two months ago. Most of them got ruined, but I still have a half-dozen pockets, a few fleece or PUL covers and a dozen large prefolds. I'd still like to buy a half dozen newborn prefolds for inserts and a dozen small prefolds at the bare minimum.

The downside for my husband is that he earns quite a bit more than he did the last time we had a baby, and this is the last one for us, so I'm eyeing some of those fancy contour and fitted diapers. If it's the last one, I might as well go all out, right?!

For now I've got my eye on a half dozen GMD newborn workhorse fitteds, a half dozen kissa countours with snaps and four small and medium kissaluvs cotton fleece fitteds. Pray for my husband that that's all I find and fall in love with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thirsties and Fuzzi Bunz are hands-down my favorites. We have been blessed with a wide variety of hand-me-down diapers and those are definitely the ones I prefer over all the rest. There are others that I have really wanted to like, but because of the way my kids are built (super skinny waste/bum) the only ones I could ever get to keep them dry are the Thirsties covers (which I used with prefolds) and the Fuzzi Bunz pockets.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Pray for my husband that that's all I find and fall in love with.
Too late. Now I want a wool Disana pull-on, too. That poor guy.

Thirsties and Fuzzi Bunz are hands-down my favorites. We have been blessed with a wide variety of hand-me-down diapers and those are definitely the ones I prefer over all the rest. There are others that I have really wanted to like, but because of the way my kids are built (super skinny waste/bum) the only ones I could ever get to keep them dry are the Thirsties covers (which I used with prefolds) and the Fuzzi Bunz pockets.
Our pockets are also hand-me-down fuzzi-bunz and we love them. They're the best for extended trips out of the house. I can send the hubs off with the bubs and even he can handle diapering alone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We cloth diapered our first 2. 7 & almost 5 now, and like @Incubator, hubby is also making quite a bit more than before. Cloth was a financial necessity and we were limited to prefolds, a few flats, some Thirsties covers and handmade covers for the newborn stage. Now I want to try ALL the diapers, but find it hard to justify spending much since this will be our last. But since I gave away my infant prefolds, I'm buying/making more anyway!! I bought 12 orange gmd, 10 yellow GMDs, and 3 workhorses. Also a simplex AIO. Plan to buy a couple kissaluvs 0s, Sandy's smalls for nighttime, and 12 Indian infant pfs. And anything I have time to make. I made 2 new faux Duo wraps so far, but bought tons of PUL and other fabric, I just need to start feeling well enough to sew them! I'd like to make more covers & fitteds and possibly try to make a hybrid fitted. I can never stick to just one kind of diaper I have to have them all! :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
My kids are older too and we are starting everything from scratch again. This will also be my first time cloth diapering a newborn. I will be getting a mix of flats, prefolds, and workhorse fitteds from GMD. I'm planning on a couple blueberry capri and thirsts duo covers. Plus I want to get a flip and a nick's diaper one size cover to try once she grows enough. I'm hoping the 4 covers to start will be enough. I plan to make a couple tiny wool soakers too.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
After realising that we only have seven pay periods left before baby is imminent, I've been on a bit of a diaper shopping kick. Two weeks ago I ordered four kissas contours in two different sizes. This week it was a dozen small prefolds and a half dozen small workhorse fitteds from Green Mountain. Next time it's probably going to be two disana wool covers and some fasteners. After that we need two pay periods for a tub and a car seat. That will leave us two more pay periods to fill in the blanks.

I decided against the newborn sizes after thinking about it. While I may dream for a smaller baby, reality says it's probably not going to happen. If we get surprised with a smaller baby I'll just buy smaller diapers after the fact.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts