Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who use cloth diapers, will you please share why you have chosen to do it? We don't (yet) mainly because we didn't think it provided any great environmental benefit over disposables when you consider the water that has to be used to wash them, but we don't really have any facts either way. I have heard, though, that cloth diapering is much easier and better than it was back in our parents' days...what has your experience been like?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi there,<br>
I think you might rather post this on the Diapering Board, but I'll bite!!<br><br>
I really love cloth diapering, I have done so for both kids and plan to on #3 thats on the way. I would suggest that you go to <a href="http://www.punkinbutt.com" target="_blank">www.punkinbutt.com</a> and read through. There is ALOT of great referenced info there. For me, my main reason is for the health of my babies. I personally am most concerned about all the toxic chemicals that are present in the diposables. Cost is my #2 reason, being that you can start cloth diapering for around $100-$150 and that would take you all the way through potty training. (And subsequent kids). You could easily spend that in 2-3 months on diposables.<br><br>
Cloth diapering is SOOO much better now than it was, "back in the day" so to speak!<br><br>
Come visit the cloth diapering mammas here and learn more than you ever wanted to know!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I personally use chinese prefolds (CPF), with a nylon diaper cover and pins, although if you don't like pins you can use what they call a snapi, it's kind of like what you might hold an ace bandage together with. I never have leaks. (can depend on how you fold it, if the bm's leak) The main reason that I like them is I can get a "custom fit" depending on how I fold it, and becasue they are the cheapest. A friend of mine used the one size Motherease diapers, which is a fitted diaper that you don't have to fold, but you still have to use a cover. I mainly don't use most of the other fitteds or All-in-one diapers (litterally diaper and cover in one piece, VERY easy to use) just for cost reasons and some of them take longer to dry in the dryer, but there are definitley some VERY nice ones out there, you wouldn't believe the choices!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Chinese prefolds seem to be a popular choice....can you buy them at a place like Babies r us or is it better to get them online? Where do you get your covers?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Although you may find prefolds in the stores, you should DEFINITELY buy them online!! You will want to make SURE they are TRU chinese prefolds. For my covers personally, I like the Motherease Airflow covers (a bit pricey but worth it) and I like the side snap covers that I ordered form weebees (they make them themselves and are roomy). I like the plain nylon pull up cover, but its sooooo nice to have snaps on the side for those blow outs!! Those are the only 2 brands of covers that I'm using although I've tried lots (Oh and I have a wool aritocrat soaker for nighttime). If you're looking for a cheap cover I know alot of people use the prowrap cover (I believe you can get seconds if you call thier 800 number for around 3-4 dollars a piece.) I've never used them in the past because they used velcro and I don't like velcro, because it sticks to all the diapers in the dryer-UGH, but.... I saw that they come with snaps now and I've heard they are VERY durable!!<br><br>
I saw your post on the diaper board, looks like you got alot of things to think about!! In the beginning it can be SO overwhelming, hang in there!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts