Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I are TTC #1 and I have been researching diapers. Now I know in the long run Cloth are cheaper, especially since this is our first and we are hoping for at least 5 kids. So they will get used again. But I just cant get past the amount of money that I have to put out at first for the initial purchase.
DH would totally be on board if I said I wanted to use Cloth since he is pretty good at going with whatever I think is best, so that is not a issue. Plus I babysit so I would PROBABLY keep babysitting after I have the baby and that would be a 2 year old and a baby right now. Plus my baby. So laundry time is pretty sparse.
Also,I have read that alot of the diapers leak at night since you dont change the baby much at night after the first month or so.
So, I am trying to research and find out what will work for me. So if all you mamas who have been there done that can you help me??

Tell me about Bum Genius 2.0. The AIOs. They are $15 a diaper. Do they leak? Are they pretty good about staying good after multipal washings? They are velcro instead of snaps so do those give out quick??

Thirsties? All in one Pocket diapers?? They are $17 a diaper. Do they leak? How do they hold up in the wash and also they are velcro, do they stay ok???
Also, I have talked to personally a WAHM who makes cloth diapers and she seems real sweet and uses these diapers for her 2 kids and will again for the one on the way. But since I have no used them before I dont know what to look for. . . .
So anyone used Kaddy Bums?? They are $8 for small, $10 for medium and $12 for large. . . . The cheapest so far I have found.
Kaddy Bums
They are AIO's also but they have snaps instead of velcro. Is that a good thing or do they break??
Kushies from Walmart?? Anyone use these? They are cheap but I am also wondering if they are good quality?? Do they leak alot?
I HAVE read the diaper reviews and they were helpful but I am still so confused! Thanks for all your help mommies!!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I have only used the Bum Genius One Size and Happy Heiney One Size, so I can't give any reccomendations on the others, but I love the HH. It was an investment at first, but they give a discount if you purchase more than 12 at a time. they are also having a 30% off sale (it may end any day), so now is the time to stock up. I paid $340 for my set of 18, so in 4 months they have paid for themselves, and I will keep using them forever, or at least until the kiddies are out of diapers. It saves SO MUCH money. I say register for them when you have a baby shower and then you wont have to pay anything. I also know that there are tons of posts on how to save money cloth diapering in the cloth diaper forum.

Good luck!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I use Kushies flats. They leak way less than sposies for poo, but a little more than sposies for pee. They are very easy to clean and very cheap. They aren't as cute as all the fancy new-fangled diapers, but I don't care much about that.

I use sposies overnight.

One thing you can do is start on sposies and buy a dozen cloth diapers every two weeks or so until you have enough. That way you're not making a big initial purchase, and you don't have to do extra laundry during those first two weeks post-partum.

Good luck!

·
Registered
294 Posts
miracle diapers will help you start your stash!
Also prefolds & covers are a good way to start.
And WAHM made diapers can be more affordable. I just bought some fitted bamboo dipes from http://www.monkeybunsdiapers.com/com/index.php
Bamboo is a bit more pricey, but she makes AIOs for $10, or fitteds for $6.50.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Also wanted to add, I'm having quite a bit of faith in WAHM dipes. afterall, they have kids, so they know what works!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks mommas!! One more question now- - -
I have been looking into the pre folds with Diaper covers. Do those leak?? Is one layer of prefold enough or how Do I do this??
Anyone suggest a brand/website of a good prefold/cover combo??
Do I actually use the prefold like a diaper on the baby or do I fold it into a liner and only use it inside the cover? Do I need to sue pins to keep the prefold on or does the cover keep it on???
Anyone use these??

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
prefolds are THE easiest diaper - I love Thirsties covers (and Thirsties PFs). One your LO is active and mobile and squirmy for a PF and can pull off velcro, you can look into something else, but IMHO, PF last longer, are cheaper, are easier to maintain, and are great for NBs!!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Carlita!! I
the colors of the thirsties Covers!!
Can anyone tell me how to use a prefold?? Do I put it on baby like a diaper then use pins to secure it THEN put the cover on top or does the prefold get folded up inside the cover? OR can I just use the prefold like a diaper and NOT secure it then use the cover to secure it?? Or does that not work? Thanks!

·
Registered
790 Posts
my stash is mostly prefolds and covers...and each of my kids has their own set of kushies from walmart...i use those mostly for outings since they are easier to change in the car or in a bathroom, but we also use them as a night time diaper for ds (2) but tri-fold an infant prefold and place it between the diaper and built in "insert" the kushies have. and we only have leaks when his pants end up in the top of the diaper, and therefore wicks right out. i fold his pants down to help prevent this...usually works.

i dont pin the prefolds on my dc, i just tri-fold them and i only use proraps and bummis super whisper wrap covers. i recently got some premium and toddler prefolds for greenmountaindiapers and they work great, if i had to order more infant or regulars i would probably buy them from there, but i have more than enough of those...the most recent proraps i have bought i got from nickisdiapers, she offered free shipping with covers when i bought them, that might still be offered...i bought a 6 pack and it was cheaper per cover that way. proraps work great for their price!

hth...good luck

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
BG OS 20 leak. DD couldn't even take a nap in them, they leak out of the tabs, which apparently they have fixed that issue with the 3.0s. The Tirsties are trim, but they don't hold a lot, so if you have a heavy wetter you might have some issues...

Personally i don't like to use diapers that have fleece/sued cloth on the insides. So that rules out most pricey diapers.

If you are looking to buy diapers that you can reuse with your other kids i would hands down go with prefolds, or prefitteds. They wash easily, no stinking issues, they dry quickly, no synthetic fibers, they can be used a burp cloths and doubler, and they fit a lot of different sizes.

I also use Kushies....i have tried just about every type of diaper out there, and Kushies are my fall back diaper....they are reasonably priced (allot of times you can get ones that have been just washed and not used for really cheap, i got mine for $20 for a package of 5). They are really really puffy, and not a diaper that i would suggest trying to get under your LOs jeans, but for just at home, they are perfect.

If i had to do it all over again, i would go with 12 prefolds, 12 prefitteds (these are just prefolds that have been made into a fitted type of diaper) with velcro closures, 2 packages of Kushies classics, and 2 packages of kushies fitteds. Some Luxe or Kiwi pie soakers, and longies and 5 imse vimse covers.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
the thirsties are ok, but they left horrible red marks on my dd's legs.

These are my hands down fav prefolds

here is a totorial to help ya

These are my ultimate fav cover

And the Under The Nile Fitteds (GMD is out of stock untill feb) is my fav fitted.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
PFs are great for laundry. Cheap, sturdy and long lasting. I got mine at Green Mountain Diaper. Much better quality and fit than the ones I got originally at Cotton Babies and sold before I used them more than once. With twins I need my diapers to be easy.

I use a doubler for my PFs - hemp babies, trim and absorbant. That has worked really well for us. At night I use a fleece topped doubler to protect their skin and keep it dry, also from GMD.

I do love the Thirsties covers, and love the option of using them without pins or snappis. But, DH uses snappis and I use pins, almost always. We get a better fit and more containment.

If the diaper is totally under the cover, no leaks! Really! If there's a corner of the diaper peeking out, there can be some wicking. But that's user error, not a leaky diaper.

My favorite cover is Mothersease Air Flow. I like the snaps, especially for the laundry, where I don't have to be careful with velcro. Also like that they can breathe.

We use Happy Heiny fleece covers at night. Huge but a washable alternative to wool.

As a splurge, we love Cricketts Hemp fitteds.

Go with cloth, it's so much better in every way. And if you plan ahead, you can get a great diaper stash and be economical about it. Especially if you can use it on other babies after your first!

Finally, two recommendations: 1. register and get all your diapers at a baby shower. That's all you'll really need! Clothes, toys, etc you can get at consignment stores and keep or sell afterwards. But diapers, if you want new ones, are best as gifts. They are SO cute new. Your friends and family will be happy to give them to you! (Failing that, you can certainly get some good dipes used or traded if you look around. Might be a good way to start at least and keep the cost down.) And have your shower a few weeks before the birth so you can prep the diapers by washing them a few times. (Ordering, prepping and organizing my diaper system was a little challenging. But since then it's been a breeze! No going out for more dipes!)

2. As a gift or a purchase, get a Potty Pail.

http://www.pottypail.com/

I hesitated, not wanting to spend any more money. First I got the sprayer, then I got the pail. Silly, I should have gotten them together. But they are both SO worth it. It makes laundry a snap and means your pail never smells. Since then I got one for my mom's house and given one as a gift. Such a help!

Keep researching, and happy diapering!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
the thirsties are ok, but they left horrible red marks on my dd's legs.

These are my hands down fav prefolds

here is a totorial to help ya

These are my ultimate fav cover

And the Under The Nile Fitteds (GMD is out of stock untill feb) is my fav fitted.
I agree with all of this! I like GMD prefolds and Thirsties covers, or Bummis covers, or even better WOOL! I was hesitant to try wool at first, but it is so easy. I just hand wash them every few weeks, other than that or the occasional poopy leak, I just hang them to dry between uses. I have started knitting my own wool and it is easy and saves a TON of money.

I also like to have half a dozen 'easy' diapers in my stash for family or a day when I'm feeling lazy. I like Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers. I buy seconds online. You can use the prefolds as inserts if you want.

Sounds like you are right on track!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I agree with the PPs on prefolds and Thirsties covers! DSQ prefolds are crazy affordable, very absorbant, easy to care for, and will last a really long time (I purchased ours from Baby Cotton Bottoms...not sure of the brand). Thirsties covers are very effective and super cute.

Several months ago, I purchased a couple of AIOs for the diaper bag. But, they hardly ever get used because I like using prefolds so much (I just roll up the prefolds, grab an extra cover, and place it all in the diaper bag).

As for at night, we just add a hemp doubler and a microterry doubler. Not only does this system create a fluffy bum
, but DD remains leak free for close to 11 hours.

I can understand how the initial expense may seem daunting. But, if you went with sposies, you would soon realize how much money you would have to spend every week or two.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I just started CD's a couple of month ago and we have a few pockets and AIOs that I use while we are out occasionally, but mostly we use unbleached indian prefolds and pul covers. They are my dipe of choice by far. We have never had a leak or blowout with a pf and a Thirties cover. VERY inexpensive, easy to wash, all natural fibers, I could go on and on.
Here is a ton of info on prefolds. http://diaperpages.com/pf_folds.php

Btw, we use a double stuffed pocket or a prefold lined with an infant sized prefold with a stay dry liner on top for nighttime. No leaks.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone!!

So I am thinking now of going with a few Thirsties covers and some Prefolds from Green mountain Diapers.
Should I also get a few AIO's to use out and about or if someone else is watching the babe??
Should I get some Wipes? What is the best material to get cloth wipes from? Anyone have any recs from the green mountain diapers site?? Also when I am out and about should I just use disposible wipes? If you use cloth wipes do you keep them wet all the time? Or do you spray them? What do you spray them with??

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
We used Kushies. We used them all the time unless we were out on errands and then we used disposible, biodegradeable, natural diapers we could throw. The Kushies were great. They did not leak much, not that I had much to compare them to but they were fine for us. When we were done having kids I was able to sell them on eBay.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
you can spend $$$ on wipes, or you can jsut buy a few packages of the cheap baby washcloths

Or just buy some terry cloth and flannel at your local fabric store and sew them together.

If you want to buy them, i would recomend the kissaluvs ones, and maybe a few bamboo velour ones for the rashy days (or to wash your face with...they are sooo soft!)

As for going out, using cloth wipes is no big deal when your out since you have cloth diapers, and you can just put it in the wetbag, i would keep some wet for running around in a small baggie, or wetbag.

I did use mostly sposie wipes though, i don't know why.....i just was easier for us.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi there. I could add my opinion to the list of help you already have, but because i remember going through what your doing the best advice I can give you is to visit the website greenmountaindiapers(dot)com

I often go back there to get info about how to use CDs, and she has a picture for everything.

I will say the owner is a little biased towards cotton only diapers, which is fine, but i really like my bumgenius and other pockets, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.