Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time mom and I have heard of cloth diapers but never thought of them as a possibility. Now that I am a mom I want to use cloth diapers, however, I do not even know where to began. I do not know anyone who uses cloth diapers. Please help or direct me to resources that will help me know what fabirics are best etc. Are pins still used?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Cloth diapers rock! ...and there's a specific forum here dedicated especially to them that is really helpful (or was to me, anyway). Try a post there and ask away -- and tell them you're a newbie because I found there's a lot of diaper terminology I didn't understand at first!

Good luck!

P.S. - No pins in our house!

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I do not use pins or prefolds. When my ds was a newborn I used Kissaluv fitted diapers (shaped like a disposable, snap closed but needs a waterproof cover) with Bummis Super Whisper Wraps diaper covers. Now that Andrew is bigger we use BumGenius pocket diapers (waterproof outer, cloth inner, with a pocket in the middle for stuffing with absorbant liners).

I have 13 (?) Kissaluvs (size 0), 6 Bummis Super Whisper Wraps (3 newborn size, 3 small), and 17 bumGenius. I use thin Gerber washcloths as cloth wipes. I wash every other day.

I buy my diapers from www.Abbyslane.com.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The cloth diapering forum can answer all your questions. There's lots to learn...there are so many options, and if you get into it you'll probably find that it's quite addictive!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I just wanted to mention that using a cloth diaper service is an option too. A lot of people get overwhelmed at the thought of washing their own and use that as an excuse not to cloth diaper.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I started out with all prefolds (about 3 dozen...i bought one dozen a paycheck to spread the cost) and 8 used Nikki Covers (which i absolutely LOVE btw). Gradually I shopped here and there for used fitteds, pocket diapers, and AIOs on ebay and WAHM sites. 10.5mos later I'm working on a full AIO stash (I have almost a dozen, lol, hey but i'm getting there remember).

it takes awhile to find ones that work on your babe best, I'd suggest trying one from several kinds/brands if you can.

and yes, the diaper forum here has very valuable info!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I remember being soooo overwhelmed before my daughter was born! I bought about 5 different kinds of diapers so I could see what I liked best.

In the end, I liked Kissaluvs because they hold EVERYTHING in and I've never ever had a blowout with them. Hands down they are my favorite.

I also like Swaddlebees pocket diapers because they're so absorbent, they wick moisture away and keep dd drier at night, and they're so trim compared to other pocket diapers.

Just jump in and try a few different kinds to see what you like best.

Laura

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just thought I'd add what I did too!

I started out w/ 6 kissluvs size 0, prefolds, x-small and small pocket diapers... pretty much a little bit of everything to try and see what system I liked the best.

I found that fitteds seem to work the best for a baby's ever-changing size (they seem to get big and then small and then big again in the thighs and waist as they grow). I really wanted to love my pocket diapers (I tried 6 different kinds) but they just weren't as forgiving of changing sizes and easily got detergent buildup which caused leaking like crazy. Also, fitteds seem to hold in all that breast fed poo so well. Prefolds do a decent job at holding everything in too, but my DH really preferred the fitteds and thought those were a lot easier to handle.

That all said, now that my DD is nearly 6 mo old, we use motherease Sandy's fitteds 90% of the time w/ either a Bumpy or BSWW cover and a Bumpy Wool cover at night and have 5 Bumgensius pocket diapers. These seemed to be the only pocket diaper that would work for us on a consistent basis. For night time, I use the same Sandy's diaper that I use during the day, only I stuff it with a two doublers. Usually 1 hemp and 1 microfiber and have a very light fleece liner that I lay in it for that stay dry feel. Not to terribly fluffly..at least, not so fluffy that I worry about her comfort. She has never leaked w/ her Sandy's. Not even that lovely runny breast fed poo!

Oh, and I dyed my Sandy's diapers w/ dye I got from Walmart and now they not only work great (just like before) But they are in cute colors too!!!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I love using fuzzi bunz at night and chinese dsq prefolds with a cover (no fasteners just a prowraps or bummis cover) during the day. Once I became expert at folding the prefold nothing usually leaks into the cover. And can you say Cheap! It's great.

Edit- you can use snappi's instead of pins with pull on covers, look them up they're cool

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bauhinia
The cloth diapering forum can answer all your questions. There's lots to learn...there are so many options, and if you get into it you'll probably find that it's quite addictive!
I agree! Come on over and have fun

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just my two cents...we use cloth, but since we're on a budget most of the time we went with prefolds and bummis whisper wrap covers. I haven't had any trouble at all yet and they work well for a lot less money. If you're looking for a less expensive way to go, you might look into this. At night we use aristocrat wool covers, they seem to work really well. Also, we ordered a sprayer from potty pail and it is a life saver! You simply spray off the poop into the toilet and its super easy and not messy at all. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I was totally overwhelmed at first because cloth diapering is soooooo multifaceted now: there are loads of diff kinds to choose from, and lots of different procedures on caring for them, so we ended up going with the simplest solution for us.

Fuzzi Bunz from Nurtured Family. We bought something like 3 doz? size Small and 6 extra inserts for backup.

With inserts included and cheaper for one dozen (plus free shipping). Best deal on the web for FB that I found. They work GREAT. No blowout issues nor leaking.

I recently ordered a doz of the Mediums, since we'll be moving up in size in a month or so. But you don't need as many of the larger sizes since babies don't need diaper changes as often as when they're newborn.

Anyway the key to successful CDing is you have to use a soap that won't coat the diapers. Coating = odor retention and poor absorbancy = leaks = frustration.

That means you should use Charlie's Soap, Allens Naturally, BioKleen, or SportsWash, etc. Anything marked "Clear" or "Free" isn't free of brighteners, which will coat and affect absorbancy. "Natural" detergents like 7th generation are fabulous for clothes, etc., but not best for CDs since they have nat plant oils that can affect absorbancy.

Price wise, Charlie's Soap is cheapest for us. (We use the liquid.) They deliver straight to your house and they periodically run special two-for-one deals. I got 2 gals when I was 7 mo's pg and now, she's nearly 4 mo's old and we still have nearly a half gal left! Way cheap in the long run. Powerful good stuff too!

Our washing routine is pull inserts out of pockets and dump into wash with ~1/8c Charlie's Soap in a cold soak followed by 1/8c Charlie's in a hot wash, with no-bleach oxiclean added on rare occasions for super dried-on poopy dipes. We store in a dry pail and I wash one load CDs every other day typically. If any inserts retain stain after the wash, I squirt Charlie's on it directly and toss it in the pail where it sits and de-stains (and use a backup insert in its place). After it goes through the next wash cycle, the stain's gone. You can also use sunlight to remove stains. But I'm lazy and Charlie's is the bomb.

There are lots of other ways to launder your dipes. But that process works perfectly for us. Dipes are all still in brand new condition with zero stains which is a plus since Fuzzi Bunz have GREAT resell value. Other mamas can tell you their routines. Everyone's different and it depends also on the types of dipes you use, I think.

(Oh and as with any type of fleece never wash with anything other than same fabric else it'll result in pilling -- doesn't affect anything but makes it not as soft.)

Anyway although the initial investment seems costly, even using a higher end CD like Fuzzi Bunzi is still WAY cheaper than using disposables, extra water/energy from laundry included. I know, We did the math. We'll be saving thousands of dollars by the time Guinevere's potty trained.

And PPs are correct: the CD forum is a goldmine for info. You can always buy used to start with too, to try out diff styles or to save money -- just make sure you boil the dipes to get rid of any viruses, etc., before use.

Congrats on making the choice to CD. It's better for your baby, the environment and your wallet
Way to go, mama!

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
When I was looking at all the possiblities of what cd's to use I found this mamas site extremely helpful. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com

I tried the prefolds out w/ my dd but didn't like them..at.all. We use fitteds and and this time around we're gonna use mainly growing greens hemp diapers.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I started out with Fuzzi Bunz because they're so easy, even dh will use them. After I got comfortable with them, it has been fun to branch out into fitteds/covers/prefolds/wool...

CD is a favorite hobby of mine!
Happy diapering!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts