Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be CDing my newborn due in August. I also have a 2.5 year old who I *thought* was close to being done with diapers. Now, I'm beginning to think it might be a while yet. I have put a CD on her and she wanted to be changed as soon as she wet it, so now I'm thinking of putting her in cloth to expedite the PL experience. Can anyone recommend good cloth training pants or should I try her in some cloth diapers?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm not sure whether you should go for the diapers or training pants. But, I know if you go for the cloth diapers they won't go to waste even if you only use them for a short time before your 2.5 year old PL's.

I'm also due in August and planned to cloth diaper her but not my 20 month old. Well, once I started getting all that cute fluff in for the newborn I HAD to buy some for my toddler. Now she's cloth diapered! My reasoning is that it will help her PL earlier because she can actually feel when she's wet and that even after she does PL the diapers will be there when Mackenzie grows into them.

One thing I've noticed switching from sposies to cloth so late in the game is that you might be surprised how often babies really wet their diaper. I had NO IDEA! Camryn wets a diaper almost once an hour and I was only changing her sposies every 2-4 hours because they never ever felt wet AT ALL! I couldn't believe it. I've really learned a lot about her wetting patterns since puting her in cloth.

ETA: If you decide to go with cloth diapers for your 2.5 year old I would suggest getting some one-size diapers. That way you'll get more use out of them because you'll be able to use them earlier for the new baby. (That's what I'm doing anyway
)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's very helpful. I am really liking the idea of putting her in cloth. I thought it might be a good idea because she really doesn't like to be wet in cloth. But, your point about *me* being able to learn her patterns is a good one.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
i started CDing my ds (who was 2.5 when dd was born) a few months after dd was born. It still took him another year to use the potty, but think of all the money i saved over pull ups! and i was also able to use them for DD when she grew into them. Now that dd has PL'd, they are on loan to a friend, and will come back to me in time for the babe on the way to use them. FTR, i used Fuzzi Buns for DS, because he was such an sctive toddler, who hated changes - and i figured he's never sit still long enough to put on a diaper and a cover. I never fould any cloth pull ups that i liked, and when ds was ready to PL, we just went nakey for a few weeks, then went to undies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See, I think I am just looking for an excuse to cloth diaper my 2.5 yr old, who was very nearly a Rhiannon, btw.

Hmmm... I do have some S fbs for the new babe. Perhaps I will try those for my toddler. I would like to get her into cloth of some kind. I'm just not sure what yet.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I started CD'ing my dd at 2.5+ years. We've been at it for about a month now and I'm hooked. I switched at this late date for a couple of reasons:

#1 - I'd been considering switching for a long time.
#2 - DD seemed no where near ready to PL.
#3 - We are trying for baby #2 and I knew I'd be able to reuse the diapers (or sell what I couldn't reuse).

So what does little miss do last week? Woke up on Tuesday morning and said, "Mommy, I don't want to wear diapers anymore."
She's really working on PL'ing but I know there will be times (like today) before she's finshed learning when she needs/wants to be in diapers. I'm still glad I switched.

A few diapers I really like for her: Bum-ware AIOs, Lucy's Hope Chest AIOs, Sugar Peas fitteds.

Good luck to you and happy shopping!

Jill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the recommendation! Glad to know I am not the only one considering such a thing so late.
If nothing else, I do think cloth training pants would be nice to have. She sure hates being wet when she can feel it. With disposables, she really could not care less how wet she is.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My dd was 2 when I started. I got pregnant with ds and knew I wanted to cloth diaper him and so I started accumalating a stash for him. I got some bigger sizes so that I that I could pratice on her. We used fuzzi bunz too along with a few fitteds, Lucy's Hope Chest and Valor-Kids. She daytime PL just before 3 and nightime PL at 3.5. They were well worth the investment. She also didn't care about peeing in a disposible but with cloth she always told either that she was wet or before she had to go.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I have an almost 2.5 year old (28.5 months). My favorite for him are AIOs (Bum-Ware or VB) and I also really like Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers. Anything really easy and trim. For training pants we love Imse Vimse. They are a soft cotton terry inner and either white or cute print cotton outers. They aren't waterproof but they do hold a full pee (my son isn't PL but we've put him in those at times). They are trim and cute, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.