Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used cloth exclusively in the hospital at birth? Did it cause any problems? We have 2 dozen premie prefolds, about 6 fitteds, and 2 dozen small terry squares along with a dozen newborn wraps. Should this be enough? I'm trying to remember how many diapers a day we used with jet as a newborn and I'm comming up blank. I bought some 7th generation dipes yesterday jic. Hopefully we won't need them and I can just take em back or give them away.

Aja

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
i did not cd in the hosital but w/ your stash, you should be fine. i would pin the pfs b/c they hold poop in better that way and let you save your covers so you don't have tohave a fressh one every time. if you do run out is there some one who can take them home to launder for you? you may be able to hand wash covers in the tub or sink too. hopefully you won't be there too long anyway. good luck.

oh, you may want a wet bag but regular plastic bags or just your diaper pail would work fine too.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I did, and it was a piece of cake.

I only stayed one day though (natural vag birth- I signed myself out with the help of my MW). But, we brought a couple fleece AIOs, a couple of fitteds w/covers, and some preemie prefolds, and a bunch of wipes. We had no idea how big our baby was or what the sex was, so I wanted to be prepared lol. We had a 7lb. baby girl who was full of meconium (so bring some liners!
). We had a seperate bag for the dirty diapers (a medium bummis liner/tote inside a zip-up diaper back). We didn't know how long we'd be at the hospital (I didn't put any time limit on myself, I just ended up wanting to go home that day), so we planned to have dh bring home any dirty diapers if it got too stinky. I was so excited to put real fluff on our baby once she was born
: . She looked so cute. The nurses all raved about it too, everyone thought it was very cool and didn't give us any trouble.

We also cloth diped out firstborn baby who was a preemie in the NICU. That's a different story.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I used cloth in the hospital when ds2 was born. I couldn't imagine putting sensitive new skin into sposies.
I only stayed 24 hours and did not use a lot of diapers. I didn't even use a cover until we went home.

Meconium does not stain cloth diapers!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just wanted to mention that while I used disposables, my milk didn't come in while I was there, so I think I only used 3 or 4 diapers a day! BF poop wasn't even there yet.

If I have another one I think I'm going to try to get away with using cloth
:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Quote:
How hard is it to get merconiom poop stains out?
Yeah, it wasn't so much staining as it was getting it all out. It was just easier for us to have even just a flannel wipe used as a liner, which could wash out real easy the first week. I can't stand the sposie liners though, we just used a folded wipe as a liner. My dh did the wash the first week for me, so I wanted to be sure everything got thoroughly washed.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
We just told the hospital staff that we were going to bathe & dress our own baby. They were happily suportive. DS has never worn a plastic diaper since birth.

·
Registered
797 Posts
In our birthplan, we put that we did not want *any* nurse to touch our baby, only our midwife or doula. We had to sign all kinds of waivers (we pretty much refused everything
), but it was well worth it- for us. We didn't give our 2nd baby her bath until we got home. The only people who actually touched her was my MW (for her nb exam), our doula (cause she begged
) and my dh and I. I just kept our baby in my bed the entire time, and right before we left, my dh took her to get her photo ID done, and then we left.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I used cloth starting at birth this time. DS was born in a birth center though, so we only stayed 4 hours. In regards to meconium though... we used the dipes just like we normally would (no liners or anything extra) and washed them like normal (no rinsing, just throw the whole thing in the wash) and we had no staining on any of the dipes.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
honestly - that was my plan, but then my water broke before I had any packed, and she was barely 6lbs - and SO tiny that even my xs fireflies had a rise that was too long to not bother her cord. I gave up and waited until her cord fell off and that worked out fine. (I suppose I could've made the pfs work, but I'm just not into them)

NOT that I won't try again with the next one! Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I brought 2 dozen prefolds and used all but 2. I was only planning on staying 24 hours but was kept 36. DS loves to eat so he was constantly going. I kept him with me all but 2 hours for the hearing test. The nurse came and got me when he needed to be changed per my request. I also brought 2 bummis bags. (a pail liner for the room and a wetbag to keep with the diapers). I did find meconium stains on them when they came out of the washing machine but nothing the sun didn't get out.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I took cloth with me to the hospital and I'd do it again if I ever had another! I just handed a VB AIO to one of the nurses when they took her for her first bath. I put a stash of them in her bed thing and the nurses loved them and actually was surprised at how easy they were! She was there for 3 days and she really didn't pee much until the last day as my milk came in

Oh meconium did NOT stain my diapers

·
Registered
514 Posts
Joshua was born at home, but he was cloth diapered since birth too. I just used flushable rice paper liners for the first few days to catch the meconium. it made cleaning the diapers a cinch.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all the tips and info mamas! it's encouraging. i'm really kicking myself now though - i have almost 3 dozen small and xs vb aio's that i made before ds was born. we like prefolds and covers better, but those vb aio's would have been perfect for the hospital.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.