Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but i'm guessing it is.

i am looking for recommendations for cloth sanitary pads for use at bed time. my flow is probably average - on my heaviest night i'll usually wake to change my tampon once to avoid leaking so i probably go through 2 by morning.

i wear tampons all the time since i am *really* sensitive to synthetics. my mom CD'ed me cause my skin hated DD's so it's no real surprise that i still don't tolerate plastic stuff.

after some experimentation with towels, i realized i would like to wear cotton / natural pads at night - seems like 24/7 tampon for 3 days is a bit much - and was hoping someone here has experience with where to get them.

any recommendations would be appreciated! the towel system i have going right now is a bit absurd and dh thinks i'm crazy.

thanks!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Three of the big names for mama cloth are:

www.lunapads.com

www.pandorapads.com

And Gladrags, but I don't remember the website or if they even have one. I got mine at my local co-op.

I personally have the Keeper(found under alternatives at lunapads) and LOVE it. It's a cup that fits inside like a tampon that is made of latex rubber and you just empty it several times a day. you reuse each month and just clean with soap and water. I LOVE mine. It's so easy and saves me so much money. I've worn mine to exercise, to go swimming, etc. It's so comfortable. I also have a few gladrags for times when I just don't want to wear the keeper. I have pretty heavy flow on the second day of AF(maybe tmi but to give you an idea, I used to go through a tampon after 2 hours on the second day of AF when using disposables) and I've never gone through the Gladrags yet they don't feel bulky or uncomfortable. I would highly recommend them. There are lots of women on here that LOVE lunapads though so check them out. Also, don't discount making your own. It's really quite simple even for novice sewers. There are lots of patterns online. Just google it.
Best of luck. I know how you feel. I too have very sensitive skin and react badly to sposies. My daughter is the same way, thus the cloth diapers. I even used to have major cramping when using sposie tampons. That's really why I was looking for alternatives. Once you go to mama cloth, you will never go back! It's so comfortable and so easy.

Meg

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the info!

i haven't quite decided... too many choices! i think i may actually take your suggestion and try sewing some! it would be a great first project for me and my sewing machine! but i am slow with projects so i might just go ahead and buy one or two for the meanwhile.

i think i'm going to try the keeper, but i hear cervixes (cervixi? cervixeseses?) change after having a baby so i think i'll wait cause we are starting to ttc - well, i'd like to have one more period first so we're gonna skip sex next week, but we are off birth control and i don't have the most regular cycle so we'll see...

i also found that other great thread (once i was pointed to the right forum) where people rated some different brands so i'll consult that too.

yay!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.