Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you recommend? pads vs cups
I don't use tampons at all now. I generally use light days type pantiliners except one day of my period.

We're on a limited budget - I imagine the diva cup (or the other one) would be more cost effective than buying a lot of cloth pads.

Though it wouldn't be a big deal to wash pads, if I could wash them along with my cloth tp (for pee only).

Oh, and I'm in Canada- any recommendations for buying either from here?

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you've never used internal menstrual protection before there will be a pretty steep learning curve to the diva cup. Once you get past that though, they are great. You can find out more about all types of menstrual cups here
A Diva Cup is about $40 CAD, and will last you up to 10 years. Other cup options are Keeper, Keeper - Mooncup, Mooncup UK, and Lunette.

Cloth pads (lighter ones, which it sounds like you would want) range from about $3 to $10 each, and last about 5 years, although some women find they last much longer than that. You can find out more about cloth pads here and here.

If you're the crafty sort, you can also make your own cloth pads out of reclaimed fabrics you have at home, which obviously would be the least expensive option. Just do a google search and you'll start coming up with patterns etc, or ask in one of the above LJ communities.

I use both cloth pads & the Diva, and love them both. Have fun exploring what's best for you!

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm checking out the links you gave.
I found a local store that carries the diva cup, and lunapads is based in Vancouver (very close to me) and I found another moon pads maker here in Vancouver.

I'm out of disposable pads for moderate flow days, just down to pantiliners (thong style, so I'm doubting they'd be a great donation to anyone. lol)
So whichever way I go, I gotta figure it out soon!

I'm probably the least crafty person on MDC, so making my own is out of the question. lol.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I prefer both... sorry I know that doesn't really help you in decision making. I just have different days/situations that warrant one or the other. I personally hate leaving home with mama pads. I'd much rather go diva cup and forget about it yk? Could you swing a diva and just a couple of momma pads instead of a whole stash?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I used to use tampons exclusively, so I bought some a divacup and some lunapads. I tried the divacup like twice, but ended up loving the lunapads so much that that's all I ended up using. I think the lunapads design is very cost-effective, because the liners are cheap and if you keep replacing them you can wear the same pad a long time if you aren't a heavy bleeder. Also, you can just buy some scraps of fleece and fold them to use as liners--since fleece doesn't fray there's no sewing required. (I'm not a heavy bleeder--so I've actually used just folded larger pieces of fleece alone as a pad and it worked fine!)

Good luck

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are cloth pads a pain to use? Do you mind rinsing them out afterwards and having to wash them? Do you have to wash them separately in their own load? That doesn't seem very environmentally friendly...

I'm so glad to be (mostly) done with the diaper thing. Are pads different?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I love, love, LOVE my UK Mooncup. I'm in the States, and ordered it online. I was a tampon user because I hate the drippy feeling I get with pads (like really, really hate the sensation) so pads are a last ditch thing for me....but I didn't want to use tampons anymore, and came across a website comparing menstrual cups. And decided on the UK Mooncup. Dunno what else to say about it other than I LOVE it. I think the lady from the website makes pads, too.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You do not have to wash cloth pads in their own load. I put them in a mesh zipper bag (so they don't get lost among bigger things) and wash with my regular laundry in cold water. Pre-rinsing or soaking pads does use some extra water.

Compared to cloth, a cup is slightly more enviro-friendly because the amount of water used to clean it is really really trivial, and you will get more uses out of it. Not only is the typical lifespan twice as long, but you only need one cup, whereas if you use pads you need enough to supply you between laundry days.

A cup is more convenient, particularly away from home. It's fantastic not having to bring any supplies even if you're going away for the whole rest of your period! A cup takes almost no time to care for, whereas with cloth pads you'll spend 1-2 minutes each on rinsing and (depending on the design) re-stuffing.

IMO a cup is much better for light flow than a pad or tampon. You can leave the cup in all day and feel completely normal, not sticky or itchy or anything. Light flow is more likely than heavier to stain cloth pads because it inevitably dries before you get a chance to rinse it out--wet blood comes out much more easily.

A cup is more comfortable than a pad in hot weather. It never shows through clothes.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post
You do not have to wash cloth pads in their own load. I put them in a mesh zipper bag (so they don't get lost among bigger things) and wash with my regular laundry in cold water. Pre-rinsing or soaking pads does use some extra water.

Compared to cloth, a cup is slightly more enviro-friendly because the amount of water used to clean it is really really trivial, and you will get more uses out of it. Not only is the typical lifespan twice as long, but you only need one cup, whereas if you use pads you need enough to supply you between laundry days.

A cup is more convenient, particularly away from home. It's fantastic not having to bring any supplies even if you're going away for the whole rest of your period! A cup takes almost no time to care for, whereas with cloth pads you'll spend 1-2 minutes each on rinsing and (depending on the design) re-stuffing.

IMO a cup is much better for light flow than a pad or tampon. You can leave the cup in all day and feel completely normal, not sticky or itchy or anything. Light flow is more likely than heavier to stain cloth pads because it inevitably dries before you get a chance to rinse it out--wet blood comes out much more easily.

A cup is more comfortable than a pad in hot weather. It never shows through clothes.
May I copy this and use it when my friends look at me like I have 8 heads when I try to explain the cup to them?
:

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I use Lea's Shield, so I'm not afraid of a little trial and error with a diva cup (the only one available close to me)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Another vote for the cup.

I switched to cloth for PP with my first. Got to use it about a cycle or two before our second was conceived.
But then got to use it more regularly once my period returned.

I've gotta agree with EnviroBecca about

Quote:
A cup is more comfortable than a pad in hot weather.
In the summer, my cloth drives me nuts. Not to mention the bulk of thick pads for my heavy days drove me nuts.

I was never a big tampon user -- a few during high school for the swim team and on a rare occasion to the beach. But I find my Diva Cup to be very comfortable. It took me about a cycle to get use to the feel of it and how it works.

Also, my flow doesn't require me to empty it while out and about. I save that for home.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
Thanks! I use Lea's Shield, so I'm not afraid of a little trial and error with a diva cup (the only one available close to me)

Becky, you can order another cup online - I ordered my UK Mooncup from a place in Finland and got it in Ny State in less than a week for I think $40, all told including shipping. Just didn't want you to be limited to the Diva if you think you might like another better.

re: cleaning in public, I've been using mine for, oh, 8 months now and I've never had to do it. I empty before we go out, and when we come home - unless I'm on a really heavy flow day and have to change every 5 or so hours, that sucker can stay in there for 8, 10 hours before you need to change it.

Have I mentioned how AWESOME the cups are?
:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Unfortunately my flow is so heavy on the first 3 days of my period that I have to empty it every 3 hours or it will overflow. This means I have to do it at work in our multi-stall restroom. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, not much different than changing a tampon. I just pull it out, empty it in the toilet, wipe it down with toilet paper and put it back it. I don't wash it with soap and water until I get home. Once my flow lightens up, I just empty and wash it during my morning shower and in the evening sometime between getting home from work and going to bed.

I agree that keeping things contained internally is much better (IMO) than feeling it drip out onto a pad. I hate the bulk of pads anyway. We refer to them as "mouse matresses" at our house.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i use both - well i will be again in another few weeks lol
i love my diva for when out and about - have never had to deal with it in public, but have found it leaked once in awhile at night so i use my home made cloth pads at night - soo soft!
washing them has never been an issue for me - i just have a covered container under the sink i soak them in - (and that my hubby swore never to look in when he asked what it was for! lol) and then wash them with whatever colour load they go with
although i still get the weird looks from friends when they ask if i have a tampon on hand and i have to explain my feminine care regime hehe
seriously though i love my pads and cup so much i'm almost looking forward to getting my cycle back sometime after i deliver this child - (who wants that?) something i never thought when pregs for my first two when i used disposables
i'm sure you'll love whatever choice you make!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I have used both, I prefer cloth pads. The Diva Cup just never felt...right. Others say they couldn't feel it at all, though.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Love the Keeper... It's excellent if you work out-of-doors or camping or whatnot (which I used to do). I've thought about cloth, but it seems like a huge amount of money in comparison, and I"m not sure I'd actually like that dripping feeling.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.