Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>What do you like to have your newborn wear during those first couple of weeks?  I'm especially wondering about how other parents prefer to work around the umbilical cord stump.  I'm due with baby #3 in a few weeks and although I've clearly done this before, I've always worried about newborn clothes rubbing on the stump or pulling on it.  I'm trying to decide what to pack for the hospital and what to have on hand for the first couple of weeks or so.  For my boys I usually did the onsie and gown or onsie and zip/button up footed sleeper.  I'm finding that for this baby (a girl) a lot of the clothes I've been given and even some I've picked out are kimono top and pants combos and I'm worried that the waist band will bother her little umbilical cord so I'm considering heading out and buying more one pieces.  Any thoughts?</p>

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Cecilia mostly just wore onesies and was swaddled during her early times for warmth and comfort. But if this one is coming in the winter (she was an April baby in the desert), then one piece sleepers might be nice.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
<p>DS was born in May, but he wore a cute little two piece made from ribbed cotton with shorts and a tee shirt. The waistband just went nicely under his cord stump and was no issue whatsoever. He also wore some onesies and that worked well too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You could always pack both and just see how the waistline fits and if it seems to rub the cord stump then use the other things you have.</p>

·
Registered
201 Posts
My son was born in July and I had him in a onise with the feet. It was a size too big so it fit nice and loose on him

·
Registered
660 Posts
<p>Our daughter used to just wear her diaper and a tee shirt and sometimes a gown when it was cooler. I found that onesies rubbed on her belly button a lot and made it irritated. Just as long as nothing was too tight in that area it seemed fine though!</p>

·
Registered
722 Posts
<p>My winter babe basically lived in sleepers or sleep sacks for the first couple of months (they were the easiest for daddy to put on).  Since they were loose, the didn't seem to irritate the cord stump at all, and were more accomodating to cloth diapering than onesies.  Otherwise I would use kimono tops and pants--the pants were fairly loose since I was using 0-3 mos sizes, not NB, (to fit over the cloth diapers) so they weren't tight.</p>

·
Registered
527 Posts
<p>DD was born in Nov and wore kimono tees, diaper, and receiving blankies (no pants) for the first few weeks.  For going out, which was very rare, she was in footed one pieces.</p>

·
Registered
45 Posts
<p>I did the same exact thing as mamaphd! I loved the kimono tops - I thought it was much better than juggling around such a weak head/neck. So DD wore that and a diaper while usually being swaddled that first week. Her stump fell off on day 7 though. Also, DD was born in August so it was pretty warm in the house. </p>

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
<p>We always did onesies and sleepers or gowns.  Both of my baby's stumps fell off within 5 days though, so it wasn't really a big deal.</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts