Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the family round robin of Christmas gifts, we are responsible for a clothing gift for my plus-sized (size 22-24) 16 YO niece. Where would you shop or even better, what store would you suggest getting a gift card for? The family lives in TN (we live in CA) and is probably fairly conservative in their clothing choices. They also have little spare cash, so I expect that new clothes will be a treat for this young lady. Since my oldest is 9, and a boy to boot, I'm at a loss.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh goodness, her father (a methodist minister) would have a fit just at the name (even if they sold nun's habits)! I probably need to find something less, um, inflamitory sounding. Any other suggestions out there?

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
It's so hard at this age... I was thinking Torrid, but then you said they were fairly conservative as far as clothing... so maybe not. My teen likes Old Navy, and they do have a plus-size line available inline (but not in stores).

Dar

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Although, personally, I would just pick her up a couple items from Torrid, cuz a gift card to a "fat girl store" ... at 16, that could hurt. They used to be known as "the plus size Hot Topic" but they really aren't anymore. Lots of pink and ruffles and stuff, lol, but not in a bad way.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I hate to suggest this on MDC, of all places, but for conservative, plus-size teens, I would look at Walmart.

I have had to pop into Walmart a few times in the past couple of years, trying to find hard-to-find items for work (I work in a restaurant where we wear white from head to toe....not easy to find white pants in October, for instance), and noticed that the plus-size clothing outnumbered regular clothing by quite a lot. And their clothing is all "normal" stuff....not Hot Topic-ish stuff.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i would do a small chocolate gift set or maybe a little lotion set, something that if she doesn't like it won't be that big of a deal and then include a check for her to buy whatever she wants for herself. no gift cards because even those can be hard to predict.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, there is a Torrid on our local area, so maybe I'll take a look. No idea if there would be a store near her (she lives in Chattanooga -- which I'm certain I've just completely mispelled!), Though then its hard if she hates what I buy. I haven't seen this girl in at least 5 years, so I have no idea of her tastes or needs. Oh argh... There are times when I hate Christmas shopping.

Thanks for th ideas -- please keep them coming!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Well I am plus size and like Lane Bryant. They do have lots of clothes geared toward younger people... I bet she would find something there if you gave her a gift card but better yet I would go buy her something there and send it with a gift receipt so she could trade it in if she wanted to.

oh, and you could check online to see if there is a store in her town.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Maurices has a plus-sized junior line. Fashion Bug is nearly everywhere. The advantages to these two stores are that they also have non-plus sizes in the stores, so it doesn't scream "fat girl store" as another poster pointed out. I have never seen a Torrid, so can't comment on them. Lane Bryant has some young looking things. Penneys has a plus-sized department, but the clothing is probably a little old-looking to a teenager.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd give a check along with a small gift ( ie- bath set, lotion, etc) as teens are very unpredictable in what they like at any given time ( even when they are your own.) My two oldest have totally different styles and neither would shop at the same stores. Your niece may be a jeans/sweatshirt kind or girl, or more into style and a check will let her express herself however she chooses in the parameters of her parents approval. Best not to stir the pot if the family is conservative.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar View Post
My teen likes Old Navy, and they do have a plus-size line available inline (but not in stores).
The ON in the mall here carries lots of plus size stuff, it must depend on the store. Fashion Bug is a great option, I really like the quality of their clothing and they offer lots of classic options in a range of sizes.

I'm not plus size, but as a curvy gal I don't recommend Maurices, Target, or H&M ... everything is cut so STRAIGHT and narrow, even the ps stuff.

My own curvy teen DD loves Kohls for clothing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like the Avenue because they have a bigger selection of natural fibers available at reasonable prices. They're also not as well known as LB, so it doesn't scream "big girl store" when you're carrying a shopping bag. I think their clothes are classic and conservative, so would fit your parameters. There's a shop in Chatanooga according to their website.

·
Registered
937 Posts
What about the Gap or Old Navy. The Old Navy runs big and is relatively cheap so she would get alot of bang for her gift card buck! Also I have never heard of Torrid, but I did hear that everyone should be careful when buying gift cards this season as it is expected at 40% of stores will close in the the new year if things continue as ther are. They caution against smaller companies. You could do a visa gift card and then she could pick the store..

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I would suggest Target or Old Navy. I went into a Lane Bryant last week and I do not understand what's going on in there.
:

I'm size 18-20. I Used to shop at Layne Bryant but the style has changed and just is not working anymore.

Avenue is a store I discovered while living in the mid-west. They have good prices too.

Old Navy is hit or miss in my size. A XXL may or may not fit well. The pant legs are for skinny legs even on a size 18. I think that size 20-22 might not work there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.