Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has cycled, water levels are normal, brown algae took over and has now subsided significantly, I'm seeing some good green algae, everybody seems happy. Now, my water looks very cloudy. Is this normal for this stage? My tank is about 2 months old. Is there anything I can do about it?<br>
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
What kind of filter are you using? If using a canister filter, I would add some filter floss in one of the trays.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a fresh water tank. I'm not sure if I have a canister filter. It does have a part where I fill it with water before it can run. Is this canister?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You probably have a hang-on-back (HOB) filter. WHats your tank maintenance schedule like, as far as water changes and filter media rinses? You shouldnt have to replace your filter media, just rinse it in a bit of tank water every so often. For water changes, rely on your water test kit for sure, but weekly sounds about right for a youngish tank. THe cloudiness sounds like an algae bloom, by the way. Not totally harmful in and of itsef. Try feeding a bit less, maybe skip a feeding every so often, and do a bigish water change now, like close to 50%. (But dont do this if you havent been doing regular changes, as it could then overly stress your fish.)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have a HOB filter. My water is in great shape. I do 7 gallon changes once every 10 days. It will clear up a bit when I do that, but gets in the same shape again in a few hours.<br><br>
I bought some water clarifier and put it in. It did absolutely nothing. The petshop folks have been telling me to use Cycle liquid bacteria until my tank cycles through, so I haven't since it has, but could that be the culprit.<br><br>
Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just keep up with the maintenance, what youre doing sounds fine. Your tank is still pretty new. Try feeding a bit less, to give that bacteria bloom less to grow on. Most of the "stuff" they sell you at pet stores are junk, its best to save your money....<br>
So, did you cycle with the Cycle or with fish or fishless? Are you 100% sure your levels have risen then dropped again, to indicatre that your cycling is over?<br>
Oh, and do you use a gravel vacuum when you do your water changes? If not, you should. Its great for reallly getting in there and removing poop and other waste.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, I use a vaccum. I changed 9 more gallons today, and noticed that the water is actually very green. I think I might have too much green algae. I cycled my aquarium with fish. I've kept a constant check on water quality. It rose and fell as it should. Things should be pretty good. I did some reading and what I looked at said that the green algae will make the water look like pea soup - mine does (realitively). It said that it was caused by too much light. I keep my light in the aquarium on throughout the entire day until we go to bed at night. The tank also catches some evening light that comes into the room from a window, though the tank isn't close to it at all.<br><br>
So, should I just let it be and see what happens? Thanks so much for all the help mamas.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Try some time without the tank light on, or even blacking out the tank by totally covering it with something for a few days. The fish will be fine going without food in that time. Then, do another big water change. You'll probably also want to think about relocating the tank to a less sunny spot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts