Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't remember your name
so I'll just reach you this way! I want to put our 13 week old pem boy on raw... what quantities did you feed Clue at this stage? I've joined the raw feeders yahoo group and have checked out your web page on raw feeding as well
Any advice you (or anyone else! could give me would be awesome!

Loki is on Innova right now but I'd like to switch him (and the kitties) over asap

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Woo! So glad to hear it!

When Clue got here she was 10 weeks and about 8-9 lb. She couldn't handle full chicken backs at that point, so we rotated her through ground tripe, torn-apart backs, chicken hearts/gizzards, and a little bit of veggie mash that was mostly hamburger. She chewed on pork neckbones, so got a little bit of pork that way. When she was about 4 months, I found a great slaughterhouse that would let me take scraps, so we moved to whole tripe chunks and lung pieces, bigger heart pieces, liver, etc. Still tore apart the backs at that point. She started being able to handle whole backs when she was maybe 6 months old.

Right now she's 8 months and maybe 30ish? 25ish? lb and gets maybe 3/4 lb a day total in food. She's at a really good weight and the difference that I've noticed between her and the other puppies out there is that she's much "harder"--more put together; moves as one piece, not floppy. That's good genetics (I love her breeder) but it's also the increased muscle tone and decreased fat of a raw diet. Her coat is also BEAUTIFUL. Again, genetics, but each hair shaft is hard and shiny, so it does what it is supposed to and lies down on her jacket and is much fuller on the furnishings. Now with a Pem you're going to want a much fuller sihouette after grooming (do you have a high-velocity dryer yet?) so you'll be using more product and trying to get the guard hairs to stand out more, but having a good hard hair to work with makes that easier too.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for all of the advice! I've put in a call to my local organic meat lady (beef) and I'm waiting back to hear from her. I'm really hoping I can get in on their next big slaughter and score some choice bits (thinking about buying another freezer). I'm going to hit up another meat place here and ask about chicken backs and organs. For ground beef... does it matter if it's lean or regular?

Loki's breeder has a dryer that we can use but we'll probably be just buying our own. There is a puppy handling class in another month and I think we'll enroll him in that (with his sister
) His blonde is really starting to come in and he's shedding his dark guard hairs on his flanks. He's getting used to having his nails clipped but I think we'll start dremelling them instead to get them really nice and short. Helps having white nails! I can't wait to get him on raw and see the difference it will make!

I love looking at your website. Our last boy was a blue merle Cardi (canadian champion that we adopted after he retired) and I have a special place in my heart for merles. Clue is adorable! I can see how hard and sturdy she looks.

Thank you for all the advice
I'll remember your name this time

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I get whatever ground beef is cheapest--I never worry about fat unless the dog needs to lose weight.

Is Loki a red-headed tri? Or a regular red who had dark guard hairs? Those red-headed tris change SO much; it's amazing. And yes, definitely dremel. You want to keep the nails hidden in the hair as much as possible, which is not easy. If he's got a good oval foot a long nail will make it look hare-footed. Cardis have to have a round foot, so I agonize over Clue's nails. I can never get them quite short enough to please me, but they're at least well hidden in the hair and I can get a nice tight foot with scissoring.

I need to update Clue's page--her 6-mo pics are win pics (woo!) and I need to get her 7- and 8-mo pics up. She is getting better and better, longer and longer, so I am looking forward to getting her back in the ring once the New England show season starts in April.

You need to come down here and do some AKC shows! If I have my druthers, I'll take Clue up and try to get her Can Ch once she's a little older.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Yes, more Clue pictures! I dreamed just last night that I got a corgi puppy from you. Hmmm. My subconscious may be telling me something. Guess I better start saving now for one of your litters in 2-3 years.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Loki's just a regular red and white with dark guard hairs. His sable puppy mask is starting to fade as well. I did his nails yesterday and got them good and short. He's got really pretty feet

I've spent part of the day contacting butchers and have some great leads!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.