Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any clues? I mean I know there are...ones that my midwife would recognize for sure. This is my second pregnancy and I'm 28 weeks. Both times I have had a hard time identifying body parts. The head is boney, the butt is boney, there is punches/kicks every which way. How can you tell what is what??! I have never had an ultrasound because I like not knowing and guessing...it's a fun little mystery. It feels the same as shaking christmas presents and trying to take a guess.
But, there is always a concern about whether or not it's breech. (is it breech or breach??) Anyway, I feel alot of jabbing very low and there is often what feels like it's having a go at my cervix. I'm not feeling so much poking at my side but alot down low.

I have a fetoscope and I often hear the heartbeat down very low as well which leads me to believe it is not breech. My mw was here just this past week and she seemed to think it was head down...at least she didn't say otherwise.

What other clues are there??

What about transverse?? What's that like??

Thanks for feeding my paranoia!!
Amy

· Registered
1,111 Posts
As far as I know at 28 weeks your baby is probably still turning every which way. So you're probably feeling everything just as you should! I wouldn't worry about breech until you get much closer...probably starting at 34-35 weeks I'd start paying closer attention, but even then there's plenty of time to turn

Congrats on your 2nd baby!!

· Registered
3,129 Posts
My baby went head down at 26 weeks and stayed there. I could tell she was head down by pushing on what I thought was her head/butt. If it was her head, it "gave" a little and the but was firm and wouldn't move. I could also tell by her hiccups.

****I would start to "worry" that baby is breach before 34-35 weeks because by then the babe is "wedged" into position and it is more difficult for them to move. Visit Spinning Babies to see some helpful tips for baby positioning.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
I have had two babies: one breech and one not. They felt totally different. My first baby was footling breech (discovered at 36 weeks) and it was very uncomfortable and very painful. I would get sharp intense jabs- so painful I'd see stars- way down low, and I could feel this grapefruit sized round shape right under my right rib- which was constant and so painful I wound up with bruised ribs- at least it felt that way. Frustratingly, I kept telling my doctor that she was breech and she kept insisting she was not breech, that the round shape under my rib was her butt.
: I think she thought that since it was my first pregnancy I had no clue.
:
My son was not breech, and although also uncomfortable (hey, isn't everyone in the last few weeks?!) it felt somehow more normal. I felt pressure down low instead of sharp stabbing pains. And my ribs were kicked by his feet instead instead of banged up by his head.
They felt totally and completely different.
But, I did not notice anything discerning when I was only 28 weeks. It wasn't until I was 34-ish weeks that I started to think she was a breech baby. And even at 36 weeks they told me she could possibly still turn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.