Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am talking about after the kid has actually weaned. My son nursed until he was about 3.5, started weaning himself around 2 3/4, and finally really stopped about 2 months ago. (Though he did ask me the other morning to nurse, but then stopped right away and said, "No milk!")

I hear stories of people's breasts totally deflating after breastfeeding. (I always think of that comment that Christiane Northrup made in her book-- her older son asking, "Mom, what happened to your boobs? They died!" after she weaned.) My breasts are about 1 cup size smaller now than before I got pregnant, but I haven't noticed anything terribly disturbing about shape, etc. I'm 39, so I don't expect to look like a 20-year-old, and I can't say I have ever had Playboy boobs (who does, really?) but--I have been (knock on wood) pleasantly surprised that I didn't feel like running out and buying three push-up bras, like a friend of mine who weaned her baby at 18 months.

I don't know if it's just a general contentment-with-body-image thing that really developed when I was pregnant, or if there is actually something about CLW that doesn't lead to whatever the terrible deflation is that people talk about. I have thought that maybe I just still have milk, and so that's why I'm not deflated (my son didn't exactly try too hard the last time), but--

Anyway, anyone experience this? The only other person I know who did CLW also did not deflate (as far as I can tell...). Could be another selling point

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Hmm... that might make sense! I was just talking to a semi-crunchy mom who weaned at about a year both times, and she complained her boobs deflated... and I noted my mom nursed for like 13 years and her boobies held up just fine, lol. Maybe there's something to it! It WOULD make another great selling point!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
They're not balloons!

I suppose mine are a little flatter, but so what? They nurtured two children for as long as those children needed. Looks are only skin deep. What's truly important is invisible to the eye.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Oh, pleaseeee tell me that's not so. I'm so patiently waiting for that deflation day. Verrrry patiently.

We figure we'll have at least one more kid, see, so we're talking years. I was once a B cup. Now I'm somewhere upwards of E. Oh, I am waiting!

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Hard to say in my case. I was still nursing when they started to deflate. I lost a lot of weight and weight loss always kills my boobs. Then I gained weight back and then got pregnant. She weaned sometime in there so they weren't deflated at that point. They are definitely saggy but still fullish with milk at times.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Once and for all (not directed to you op, to the universe!) Breast feeding has nothing to do with breast deflation. Pregnancy, genetics, and age are what decide the size and shape of your breasts. Nursing actually prolongs the inevitable. Nurse away!

By the way, mine are as nice looking as ever after breastfeeding for almost 6yrs between two children.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I can't *really* say for me b/c I don't have milk, and DS "nurses" about once per day. Plus, I am PREGNANT, so that totally mixes everything up. But, I will say that DS has always been an extra avid nurser (he's 3.5), and mine are still in very good shape. They have changed shape so many times, it is kind of funny!

I wanted to post b/c my mother (like someone above) nursed for about 12 or 13 years straight, and she always stayed "plump." Although she did get a breast reduction at age 60 because she was always so large (something like a K cup or so?) I don't know -- it was big, and a big relief after her surgery.

I also think it can have to do with your perception of your breasts and your body after you have children. I feel like a total badass, personally, because my body and breasts have sustained and nourished my babies so well. I am not like some gorgeous, young babe; I have a different sort of beauty!
But, really I do love everything about my body, so I am sure that greatly affects how I describe myself.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Pregnancy gives you the extra skin and sagginess (if you're going to have that), yes, but...nursing does impact the fat levels inside your breasts.

Mine are already pretty flat, too. I've been nursing for 8 years. For the last few months, I've been talking to my boobs and telling them that when the last nursling finally weans, my boobs are going to fill up with fat, again, and my nipples will no longer point to the floor.

The nipples have already moved up some. We're going to have success!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Let me know how that works Lucy.

The girls have been eyeing the floor, well okay-not Right at my feet-maybe a few feet ahead, for years now. Maybe as I lose weight, I can talk the fat from my belly back up into them???

·
Registered
838 Posts
I nursed my twins for nearly 2.5 years, and between the massive inflation associated with a 40+ pound pregnancy weight gain and nursing twins (I ballooned from a "C" cup to an "F"), and then the gradual deflation associated with verrry gradual weaning, and a totally unexpected weight loss of 20 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight (carrying/chasing these two is a major daily workout!) -- mine have seen better days. I'm a stretched out and deflated A-cup right now.

But, as one writer pointed out, this has more to do with the weight gain/loss associated with the pregnancy & aftermath than it does with the breastfeeding itself. Genetics plays a big part, too. But I think when they're stretched, they're stretched, and there's no going back.

I'll happily post the news if this turns out not to be true!

·
Registered
462 Posts
My son self-weaned at 14.5 months (boo hoo!), and my boobs are HORRIBLE!!

I was a B (if I was lucky) before pregnancy. At my biggest, while nursing, I was a DD. Now, I'm a B again, but a VERY saggy, wrinkly, and soft B.

I'm only 24, and single, so this is NOT good for my self-esteem, but what can ya do? Being able to breastfeed was WELL worth the results...

One thing I did find about CLW was that I never, ever got engorged, which was definitely nice!

Oh, and my son took about a month and a half to wean, so it wasn't a really long process...maybe that's why?

But whoever said that nursing doesn't cause deflation, and that it happens with age anyways....well, that may be true, but I highly doubt that my breasts would have been so saggy at 24 if I hadn't breastfed!!

Once I get married, I'm just to going to stay pregnant and nursing until I'm 40! lol

·
Registered
877 Posts
wanted to pass on a freind's stats. she weaned her dd2 at 4 1/4 and noticed very little change, had been 38c about 2 years, and nursed 6 1/2 yrs, minus 6 wks btwn babies. she was 39 yo at weaning.

i'm following this thread thinking/wondering what is to come. i recall my mom's shape at 50: long, wide and flat... she only bf'd a short time (not sure re: my older sister, but only 2 wks with me due to colic/"she's allergic to your breastmilk" issues, and no info/support for elimination diets to be found in the 60's).

dd2 is 22mos, i assume weaning is a while away, not fully clw, sort of a co-op thing. currently nurses 5-10x in 24hrs, depending on home vs. busy out of the house, and nightwakings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a number of friends who had children years earlier than I started. Since we did lots of hot tubbing together I saw the boob progression. It seemed that after weaning, the boobs were looking pretty deflated. However, after another year or so, they started to fill out again. This is without extra weight gain. So, there's hope even if they do deflate.

An LC in our area said that she noted that the most extreme breast deflation seemed to happen to women with very large breasts who nursed into menopause. This LC has many, many photographs of breasts to show the wide variation in normal and point out breast characteristics that may indicate insufficient glandular tissue.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that after weaning the milk tissue is replaced with fat tissue again. So they will fill out again. My boobs are about half a size bigger than before nursing. DD is only 15 months old so we'll see what happens when she weans.

Carma

·
Registered
462 Posts
Oh, I so hope you gals are right about them filling out again! That would make me VERY happy!!

I have always been very against cosmetic surgery, but now I can actually understand why women do it!! I never imagined this is what my body would look like at 24....

Thank goodness the reward is SO worth it!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
mine are starting to deflate, I am losing weight now so maybe that's it too. I was a D cup pre preg, got up to a F at my biggest, went down to a E cup until recently I am not filling out my nursing bras as well anymore. I think I am probably a D cup again right now, and I'm still nursing about 5 times a day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just an occasional lurker here, but had to respond - My dd nursed till she was almost 6 y.o. and my boobs are way-better post-PG/nursing than they were before I got PG, IMO. (I used to be flat, like "Almost an A" (that was the actual name of the bra size I used to wear - it was between an AA and an A!), but now my boobs are a bit bigger than pre-PG/nursing and have a nice shape (and are not saggy, though I think they do have very light stretch marks (I got stretch marks on my boobs instead of on my belly!).) (I don't know what size they are now b/c I stopped wearing a bra when I was PG and never want to wear one again). Every time I look at them, I fondly and proudly remember our nursing years.

Joanne

1 - 20 of 21 Posts