Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about to put DS (almost 4) in preschool a couple of days a week, and my DH has some concerns about him nursing and school. His preschool will run from 9-2, and he generally just nurses morning, night, and sometimes in the afternoon, so he would not be nursing during normal school time anyway. I think DH is more concerned that DS will talk about "mama muh" (mama milk) during school and be made fun of or that people will find us really off the wall. Did you have any "issues" with your nursling talking about nursing at school and people wondering? If so, how did you deal with it?

Also, DS will have his birthday in another 6 weeks or so. It seems like every year since DS was going on 2, as the birthday approaches, DH starts talking more and more about "when are you going to wean him?", or "isn't he getting too old for that? he is almost XX!", or "he needs to be more independent and not need mama 'muh'". I have tried explaining that first, it is ultimately between me and DS as I am the one with the lactating breasts and he is the one nursing, and that I believe that meeting his need for nursing now will actually help him become more independent later because his need will be filled. Still, hearing about it a lot makes me
: . Any great comebacks?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
my ds is 4 1/2, still nurses, has been in preschool since he was 2 1/2, and it has never been an issue. He doesn't mention that he nurses while he's there (why would he? if I'm not there it's pointless bc he can't nurse anyway) and no one knows that he is still nursing. Some knew that he was nursing while in the preschool, but only bc I told them.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
My 4.5 yo still nurses (although not as often as your DS). She's attended Sunday School since she was 2.5. This year she's played soccer and attended several preschool classes.

I've never seen her talk about nursing outside our home, and it's never been an issue for us.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hope is 3 1/2 soon to be four and as far as I know only talks about nursing when Mommy is there. She has gone to preschool and now JK.

Since she turned three if we are out I usually tell her we'll nurse later when we are home or in the car. Although mostly she nurses at home randomly some days it's more (like the day before we went to the dentist) and some days it's once in the morning or evening.

My husband has been bugging me about it too over the years but I tell him that the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding to 2 years and beyond and that it's comforting for her. After a while he realized that I was going to do what I was going to do. Now he just says 'It's your body'.

I know I will miss the snuggle of nursing when Hope is finished.
It's been hard to keep going this long, especially with teeth!
It is so infrequent now that it doesn't bother me, and if it starts to hurt I tell she's done and she kisses me better.

Last year it was really sweet, she had me make a sling out of a scarf for her stuffed puppy so she could nurse him.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Jillmamma, you are a wonderful mom! I'd ask your dh, "Jealous? Do you wish you were the one with breasts and providing breastmilk/comfort?" I guess my dh is lazy, because as long as i nurse, that just makes parenting easier for him.

I've got two in public school and as far as i know it never comes up. Only one time when he got off the bus, my oldest asked for "ninners". yelled it across the yard before the bus started moving again (and this was about 2 yrs ago). of course, not too many people in IRL know what "ninners" means.

My boys are very independent, they just like knowing they have access to that most basic connection. It really does make a difference!

And that's twice now that my 2nd ds's soccer coach yelled to me across the field on a saturday morning, "whatever you are feeding him for breakfast, keep doing it!" dh and i just grin at each other on that. one of us is going to blurt out "breastmilk" if she keeps asking.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Jill,
Although Marah Jade is 3 (09/17/03) she doesn't talk about nursing when I am not around. Occasionally she will ask for milk while she is sleeping but that is it. Her daycare has no idea she still nurses.
HTH

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
does he usually talk about nursing to other people? if not then i see no reason to suspect he would start. usually the kids are so in the moment they're only thinking and saying about what's happening at school that moment. my 5.5 yr old still nurses about once a day and to my knowledge has never said anything. i think if she or my almost 3 year old did most folks would think they were talking about babies or baby animals not themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts