Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DS is 3 1/2 (turns 4 next March.)  He is mostly weaned.  He led the way slowly this past year - down to nursing himself to sleep for just a couple of minutes.  I'm not sure he has been getting much milk but I don't really know.  I have IGT and had to supplement with donor milk when he was really little.  I actually haven't been able to hand express even a drop for a few months.  In any case, I asked him a few nights if he wanted to go sleep without milk and he always said no. If I pushed him a little, he would resist greatly.   Since it doesn't really bother me, I let him nurse and figured he would eventually lead the way with the last step.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>A wrench got thrown into the works, however.  We're TTC #2 and I've started having UTIs again (this has been a recurrent problem for me all my life - natural methods help but don't always entirely prevent me from getting them).   I managed to fight off the first UTI in April without antibiotics.  This one, however, hung around for a couple of weeks so I was given a 3 day course of Cipro.  I was a little uncomfortable nursing while taking it -- even though he was only nursing a couple minutes once a day, even though Dr. Hale's book says it would be okay and even though our family doctor wasn't worried about it given the minimal nursing.  DS ironically had just completed his first ever course of antibiotics right around the time I needed to start taking mine and I just didn't want to expose him to Cipro even in small quantities. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, I took my first pill right after nursing him to sleep.  The next day I told him we'd need to go to sleep without milk that night because I had to take my medicine and it would be in the milk.  At first he said he didn't want to go to sleep without milk and I was a little worried it might upset him.  However, when night time came, he was actually okay with it.  It took him about 45 minutes to get to sleep instead of his usual 10, but he didn't protest.   Tonight, same thing.   I take my last pill tomorrow.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess my first question is - since I can't express (and definitely not pump) any milk - do you think I'm still producing?  And if I am still producing milk, is it replenished in my body without pumping/dumping or nursing?  This may sound goofy, but I was afraid the antibiotic might build up in my milk and at the end of three days, he'll get it all. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Secondly, should I encourage the weaning process even if he asks for milk again?  I feel a little sad about antibiotics creating the push but then again, I feel like if he accepted it so willingly, perhaps he was ready after all.   I've not had any luck TTC since April and part of me has wondered if the nightly nursing, even for only a minute or two might be somehow hindering the conception process.  I doubt it - but then again, it might be.</p>

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
<p>Your body uses the antibiotic, and breaks it down, and then gets rid of it, so no need to worry about it building up anywhere in your body.  Your milk won't have 'trapped' any of it.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts