Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after yelling at my OB/GYN's nurse on the phone and then hanging up on her, I guess I need to find another caregiver.
I need to find someone who is willing to work with me on my progesterone deficiency without telling me to wean, and I'm wondering if my best option is a CNM, since they're the only kind of legal midwife in Illinois, and since I need someone who can write a prescription. I'm almost positive there are none in Decatur or Mattoon, but I'd love for someone to tell me I'm wrong. What about Champaign-Urbana? Springfield and Bloomington are remote possibilities, but they are really a long drive for me. I'd also be interested in pro-BFing, pro-NFL doctors, but at this point, I'm really not liking doctors very much.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
There is a CNM in Springfield, I believe her name is Helen Moose and she works through SIU.

There are also a few direct entry midwives scattered around Illinois, but as you said they can't *legally* practice so they can't take insurance.

There was a homebirth group in the Mahomet area when I was pregnant with dd (a little over two years ago) you may be able to find them through a yahoo group search (if not under homebirth then under NFL).

Good luck and Congrats on hanging up on your OB/GYN!

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Crystal. Do you know much about the hospital she works out of? Do they have water births? I'm not sure why, but I am really drawn to Champaign at this point...

Lori, yeah, I'm afraid Joliet is 3 hours for me. Thanks, though!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Jen, I'm afraid I don't know anything about the hospitals here, I never intended on giving birth in a hospital so I've never looked into them. I know a friend of mine had her baby at St.Johns and ended up with a very predictable c-section, but she was seeing an OB/GYN. I haven't talked to anyone who's actually seen the CNM as a care provider. Just give her office a call and ask a few questions. I believe she's on (or just off of) Carpenter st... around 2nd-4th streets. Funny... that's less than a mile from my house and I don't know the actual address..

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that makes sense that you wouldn't know about the hospitals. Unfortunately, I need someone who can write me a prescription. Thanks for the information, though!

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I've got an appointment on August 8th with the midwife practice at Carle Clinic in Urbana, but I'm mostly unfamiliar with them and the hospital. Any advice about the midwives or the hospital would be appreciated!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I am going to the midwives at Carle, but I just started so I'm not sure. Last time I was in Decatur.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Forgot to add, I really do like Carle. It's the only hospital I have worked at/been a patient at, that I think highly of. The staff are all well treated and so they are happy with their jobs, which makes a huge impact on the way they treat you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know that SIU in Springfield has water births possible. You just have to have an RN with you at all times. So either the mw or a RN dula.
HTH

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I didn't know they had water births. I had heard they had tubs for laboring but that ya had to get out to push. It's definately a step in the right direction...

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had my daughter in a tub with the midwives at Carle. I was really happy with my experience, and my favorite was actually Ray Spooner. In hindsight, now that I do birthwork, I am really suprised and impressed at how hands off and natural they were in their approach. When I was pregnant they didn't have a tub and didn't do waterbirths....but there were several couples interested so they purchased a tub and made it happen!

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by doulatara
I had my daughter in a tub with the midwives at Carle. I was really happy with my experience, and my favorite was actually Ray Spooner. In hindsight, now that I do birthwork, I am really suprised and impressed at how hands off and natural they were in their approach. When I was pregnant they didn't have a tub and didn't do waterbirths....but there were several couples interested so they purchased a tub and made it happen!
You know, I've read in several places that Ray is people's favorite, but I never had a male OB/GYN/midwife, and it might take me a little getting used to. I've only met Kristy Higgs so far, and even though we had a very short meeting, I felt very comfortable with her. (She had a basket full of Mothering pamphlets!) She had to transfer me over to the Reproductive Endocrinology department, but I'm looking forward to working with the midwives once I get pregnant. I especially love that everyone at Carle answers emails. I've never had a doctor who did that!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I am not usually one that would choose a male provider either, but Ray's energy is just so calming, and doesn't give off the feeling of a male. His bedside manner is gentler than any of the female midwifes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.