Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the hb forum too. I am searching for a CNM in NC. I found one name and am trying to contact her (darn busy signal!). She is the only CNM that I know of that does hbs. I got 3 different CNMs but they all practice at BCs or hospitals. I tried the the American College of Nurse-Midwifes webpage and that is how I got this one ladies name (I had been looking for her info perviously, and this site brought it up for me). So are there other sites or resources I could try? I tried NChomebirth but I have only heard back from one person, and their practice is CPMs, which aren't covered under my Ins.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Options are quite limited in your part of the state for homebirth. I live in the Triangle, so not so far from you. The CNM that does homebirths (N.H.) is wonderful. She attended the birth of my son at home in Dec '02 and I have 4 good friends that have used her and been very happy. I know many other women that have had her attend their births and have also been very happy. I have been at 2 births of friends w/her in attendance and she's wonderful.

The CPM you mentioned that responded from NCHomebirth is also very good. I would be totally comfortable having her attend a birth of mine. SHe has also backed up and assisted the CNM at births and vice versa. She is very experienced and knowledgable and I like her a lot.

There is one other direct entry midwife that serves this area, but she lives just over the VA border and she is neither a CPM nor CNM. She is also very experienced, but probably not an option for you due to $/insurance.

As far as I know, those are the only hb options is this area of the state. It is tricky to get a license for hb as a CNM, there are hoops you have to jump through, so it was quite a big deal when N secured hers.

I did get some reimbursement for the birth from insurance, but honestly, I would pay 100% out of pocket if necessary to stay home again. My 1st ds was a hospital CNM birth- never again! (unless really necessary, of course) Being at home was so amazing for the 2nd birth- that's how birth should be!

In short (ha!) I highly recommend N and homebirth. Go for an interview w/her and see what you think, if it's a good fit for you.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, she is the one I was hoping to get (N.H.) but she won't travel farther than an hour away from her practice. I tried to gently persuade her, the CPM said she would assist and would have no problem coming here, but it didn't work. I completely understand why she won't, she is very specific about how far she will travel. Plus it would be a 2 hour drive for her, when you count 4 hours of driving plus a labor, thats a long time.

Anyways, my options are either the CPM (I have an interview with them on Sat.) or a birth center with CNMs. The decision is something we are working on figuring out.

·
Registered
246 Posts
One other thought- I don't know how close you are to the SC border, but CPMs are licensed and legal there for homebirth. Could you travel there or find someone there who could come to NC?

In the western part of the state, there are more hb options, but here we are pretty limited, unfortunately.
I'm so sorry N isn't able to travel as far as you. That really sucks, though I'm also able to understand why. I hope you like the CPM when you meet her. She's well respected and I like her (and I'm *very* picky about practitioners and such). I think she is a really good option and totally worth her fee, if you're at all able to swing it. Talk with her, too, about payment plans and such. She may be able to work something out with you. I firmly believe that hb is worth a good bit of financial sacrifice to have, if you're at all able.

Best of luck! Post how your meeting w/the CPM goes.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I wouldn't mind having just the CPMs but my insurance only covers CNMs, reguardless where the CPM lives.

The CNM won't travel this far and she has very specific reasons, one being her family, her assistants, etc. When I talked to her it didn't sound like money was the issue. The other CNMs are even farther away from me and they also only stay within 1 hour of their practice. I am at least a hour if not two from these CNMs. If it was 10 or 20 minutes it would be one thing, but over an hour is a bit out of the range.

And it's not like we don't have the money, my DH just got back from being overseas for 5 weeks so we have a little cash, but DH really doesn't want to pay $2000 when we can 'get it for free'. And well I have to agree with him somewhat. The CPMs offer payment plans, but there is a discount if you pay before the baby is born (which is what we would do if we go with them).

There are just so many issues right now that it is hard to keep them all in order. I am just going to meet with everyone (the CPM/doula and the birth center CMNs) and just go with my heart, gut and DH. Right now if I got him on board with going to a birth center I would be happy. *sigh*

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Hard decision. It frustrates me that home birth isn't more easily accessible to women in the US. I am in a similar situation where if I went with what my insurance would pay for the birth would be free, but we have opted to pay $2400 for a home birth this time. I tend to be a very practical/utilitarian type person who is not prone to splurging on luxery items, so at first I thought the home birth was out of the question. And it's not like I had a horrible experience in the hospital with my first child. So I signed up with a hospital-based midwife practice where there are 7 (?) different midwives and made arrangements to hire a doula. After a few visits with the midwife practice I realized that it wasn't a good fit, and opted to prepare for a home birth instead. For me it is a big relief to be able to focus on the birth, and not have to vigilantly strategize for everything that could happen at the hospital (I still have a birth plan, but even if something happened where I had to go to the hospital, I am less worried about avoiding procedures there because I figure if I end up at the hospital, it's because I actually need the kind of stuff they have to offer at that point.)

I do think you can have a postive birth experience in a hospital/birth center. This is such a higly personal decision because everyone's situation is different. Good luck with working out the option that is best for you!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The CPM I think you are talking about is wonderful. She caught my last 2. I highly recommend her!

Best of luck w/ whatever you decide!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I can recommend a midwife in my area (Raleigh) that is WONDERFUL but she is a CPM. She has caught our last 2 home waterbirthed babies. Both of our last 2 were over 10 pounds and she did an amazing job. She was born to catch babies and does so naturally. We had to pay her a little over $2000.00 but IMHO worth EVERY penny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts