Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a nursing student. I hope to become a nurse midwife. There are some things I have been weighing in my mind. I know midwifery is not a career you go into to make dollars. I feel a calling, but I do not have the desire to live paycheck to paycheck. (You know, like I live now.
) Do the nurse midwives out there feel like they are struggling to pay their student loans?
A CPM route would not be practical for me, I'm in Iowa and they are not recognized in my state.

edit.. oops spelling...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
There is a program through DHHS called the National Health Professional Loan Repayment program, where primary care providers (and CNMs count) can have 80% of their loans forgiven if they work in a high-needs area. Try googling it ; I lost the URL, but am using it to pay back some of my nursing school loans. (For RN loans, you don't have to work in a high-need area necessarily, because pretty much the entire US is a nursing-shortage area).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.. I've applied for a program for the state, that is going to pay off $5000 of my loans. Of course, that's like one semester at my school.
: lol It only pays of so much every year, and honestly I don't even know if I will be working as an RN for as many years as it requires. I'm going to check that out though..

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I wish that someone had loans for apprenticeship. I have to pay for everything out of pocket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts