Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - so we are due, well tomorrow, and we have a crib and stuff - but what I want to know is how does one co-sleep with an infant and breastfeed and stay warm in the winters?

Everything I have read says that the parents don't get blankets is there is a baby in the bed... which I get, but with layers of PJs, BFing seems difficult to me.

My mom wants us to buy one of those in the bed, beds things - but we haven't as yet and don't really have the extra cash for something we don't know we will use.

Also, do newborns sleep swaddled?

How did others here do it? Suggestions?

·
Registered
68 Posts
We have co-slept from day #1, also in winter. My daughter had her own covers and I made sure she had warm (woolen) pjs on at night so she would not get cold if she kicked them off (and when wearing wool against the skin she would not get cold if she got moist from sweating, so either way she would be warm and dry). I then kept her at face-to-face height with me, that way she would not get under my covers by accident. I then wore a warm blouse, unbuttoned to allow breastfeeding and then never pulled my covers higher than my waist. Result: warm happy babe, warm happy mom, easy breastfeeding

My daughter slept swaddled, but that was due to colic- if your baby sleeps fine without, tthen why bother. If you swaddle, then you need to be very careful with the covers, cos the baby will not be able to push them away if they get over her face. When my daughter was swaddled I only ever put the covers over her feet- the swaddling blanket itslef was warm enough in itself, so covers weren't needed.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I wear a t-shirt and pajama bottoms and put the blanket over both the baby and I. The babies head is level with my chest so that he can breastfeed easily throughout the night-so the blanket goes right below my chest. That way the babe has blankets without being suffocated.
My arms are always cold at night.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
We coslept with all three in winter, had a heated mattress pad, baby was never swaddled (all of mine were tummy sleepers), and we covered them with our blankets from about the waist down - they were always up by our faces anyways.

·
Registered
505 Posts
nak - I have one of those in the bed thingys and we swaddle. now that ds is 2 months though, i haven't been using it and he's been in the crook of my arm. i felt more comfortable with him in the little box (it's the only thing that got dh on board w/ cosleeping actually), we all stayed warm. i had to pick him up to nurse, but i would have done that anyway b/c we only just learned how to do laying down nursing.

good luck on the arrival of your little one!!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
We have always co slept and we put the babe in the middle but up near our faces. I would pull him to me to nurse. I always wear pj bottoms, a loose t-shirt and sleep nursing bra. My arms are always cold too. More recently I pull a blanket up over the shoulder I am not laying on to keep warm. Ds kicks off the blankets if they are bugging him.

·
Registered
347 Posts
we have an old drafty house so we are using a space heater in our bedroom to keep it extra warm. i pull the blanket up to cover baby's legs but my arms and torso stick out and remain uncovered.

·
Registered
444 Posts
We live in Wisconsin (almost as chilly as Nova Scotia
) - We have a cotton woven bedspread and sheets that go up over my belly which is about even with her chest. She never really liked staying swaddled all night, but when she was swaddled I would push the blankets way down on her side.

I sleep in a long-sleeved Tshirt and pajama pants - Generally the shirt is all the way up for easy access, but my arms stay warm. Some women I know use a flannel mens nightshirt top, which they unbutton about halfway down.

When she was little, she wanted to be all up against me, so I stayed much warmer than I would have ever imagined (plus it was August). I still find that if she's in a very cuddly mood, I get too warm with PJ pants on.

Hope this helps,
Erin

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I'm in Boston and my DD was born in Nov so it was cold at night when we brought her home. We put her in a gown, the kind with the elastic at the bottom, and then a sleep sack. Also, we would crank up the heat a bit. We would do one of two things: s put DD higher on the bed, and lower ourseleves so we could be completely covered, or we would only bring the covers to our waist. Now she sleeps right beside me, which keeps us both warm!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
We have one of the bed things, with dd1 we loved it and used it for about 3-4 months, DS is already too big for it at 5 weeks (but he was 10lbs6oz at birth), but it is the length he has outgrown. We put him in warm sleepers with a blanket to his waist (his own) and he has a positioner thingy to keep him from rolling into us. He is up by our heads, and dh and I each have our own blanket so there is no blanket in the middle where babe is.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Quote:
I wear a t-shirt and pajama bottoms and put the blanket over both the baby and I. The babies head is level with my chest so that he can breastfeed easily throughout the night-so the blanket goes right below my chest. That way the babe has blankets without being suffocated.
That, exactly. It works out just fine. I have never seen the covers go over my baby's face.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.