Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all--

DH and I are expecting our first in Dec. and would like to co-sleep but he is a smoker (hopefully he'll quit soon!!). So we have to use a "side-car" arrangement.

We took a look at the Arms reach co-sleeper but noted its very uncomfortable-feeling flimsy mattress. Are folks happy with it? Did adding extra padding work out OK?

Can anyone recommend any other co-sleepers or creative ways to do the side-car arrangement? I tried searching the net and it seems like Arms Reach has the monopoly on co-sleepers.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!

·
Registered
794 Posts
We used a regular crib, left the sliding side off completely. i put the crib against the wall and my bed against the crib. if you do not want to sandwich the crib between your bed and the wall (for stablity) then you can tie the crib frame to your bed frame.

unfortunetely, ds didn't like this arrangement. i think the crib mattress is still to uncomfortable for him.

is the cosleeping with a smoker about them sleeping deeply and possibly rolling over on baby? if that is the case you could have baby on the other side of you. this is what we did (when dh was in the bed - now he is not due to his snoring) and dh is not a smoker. i just didn't trust that he would know where ds was.

congrats on your pg!

kris
owen, 12 months

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I did the same sidecar arrangement as pp did. Once ds is nursed to sleep I'ld slide him over into the crib and if/when he woke up just pull him in closer to nurse. Even if i didn't slide him into his crib just having the crib right there level w/ our bed seemed to give us more room since I didn't have to worry about the edge of the bed and ds or I falling out.

·
Registered
779 Posts
We got the co sleeper before Big Man was born and used it for about 4 monthes and it is still on the bed but we ended just keeping him in bed with us because he nurses every 30 to 90 min pretty much all night and it is just easier. I never thought anything bad of the mattress, just that it was like other baby mattress, firm. We just bought an Amby Hammock and we love it. I would have gotten that instead if I had known about it. He has not magicly slept through the night like all the testimonials preach but he LOVES it and it was worth the investment. He is still right there next to the bed but he feels more secure, as if he were in bed with you, than he would in the cosleeper. Plus if he wakes up you can rock and bounce him back to sleep in it with out taking him out. A good thing about both is that they have more than one use: the co sleeper can be a pack and play later and the hammock turns into a secure jumper so they are worth the investment. Look in to the hammock, I think you might like it, we sure do! Good luck!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mostly same as above. I didn't like the co-sleepers b/c of trying to put the baby down into it & pick him up for nursing. We used the "modified" crib mentioned above and that worked great with DS (#1).

If you are just looking for more sleeping area and don't want to buy a crib (really expensive for not a lot of use) ~ we just put a twin next to our bed (all pushed against the wall so no one would fall out) with DD (#2).

Then you have a bed that will last more than a few months!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the helpful suggestions, everyone!!

Yes, my worry with having him in between us is that dh is a smoker. I thought about having ds next to me at the edge of the bed, but with the configuration of our bedroom's doors and windows, believe it or not, there is pretty much no way to push the bed against the wall to keep him from falling off!! So I am afraid we are stuck with the side-car arrangment.

I had not thought of the Amby -- a great idea, too.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
A cosleeper isn't your only option. There are guardrails, and there's a product that provides a firm cushion at the edge of the bed as well.

I do have the Arms Reach, and it is effective as a guardrail and cat bed... In other words, I just sleep with baby in bed, and one of my cats, who is in love with the baby, sleeps in the cosleeper to be near her

·
Registered
107 Posts
We got the mini arms reach co sleeper. Although DS never actually slept in it because he preferred being right next to me and frankly, he seemed to far away even in the co sleeper. But I liked the co sleeper as it keeps me from rolling out of bed now that DS is 2 and sleeps between us and pushes me out
When he was an infant, and I put DS between me and the co sleeper as DH was worried about rolling over on him. So the co sleeper was a good buffer as I felt concerned about the bed rails at that point when he was an infant. I wasn't sure if he could get caught in them and at least the co sleeper was an expensive "rail." The few times I put him between us I used those bumpers just to feel safer with him there when he was so tiny. I could still lean over and nurse him with the bumpers in place. Now besides keeping me from falling out, it is a great night stand for books, chap stick, tissue, etc.

P.S. Although I remember that the co sleeper mattress was a bit low so I ended up buying one of those foam changing tables and sticking it under the mattress to make it more even with my mattress.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
There's a pic in my sigy (sweet boy album) of Noah in the co-sleeper. Although I do enjoy cuddling my boy, I also like my own space.

I did add 4" of foam from the fabric store to raise the co-sleeper mattress . Also the bar is a little uncomfortable as I lean in to the cosleeper to nurse. I think a 'side car' crib, twin bed or bigger bed would be more comfortable.

HTH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.