Mothering Forum banner

co-sleeping logistics

1199 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Spring Lily
my boys are 10wks, 2 adjusted, and i've been co-sleeping w/ them which is the only way anyone in this house can get any sleep. i'm really happy with how it's working out (the first 2 wks when i tried to keep them in the co-sleeper was nightmarish). but i'm wondering if there is a better way?

it's me and the boys in the guest room. to go to sleep, i'll nurse them on my ez-2-nurse pillow, lean back and pass out. it works well, b/c then when they wake they're where they need to be, and since it's sloped toward me they stay put, in my arms. i don't mind them being on top of me, except for when i have to pee... or if i have a yen to meet dh in the bedroom for 10min
but if they're just next to me, they don't sleep as well, and they make a stink getting into position to nurse.... and i really like to tandem them to maximize sleep for everyone.

so i'm wondering, at that age, how do/did you do it? looking for tips!
See less See more
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I can't get past the "meeting DH" part of your post! When my twins were 10 weeks (or even 10 months for that matter), sex was the last thing I wanted to do when my babies were asleep. I just wanted more sleep. You go woman, good for you!

Anyways, back to your actual question
. I never really tandem-nursed at that age. They didn't wake each other up yet, so they seemed to stagger when they got up to nurse while the other was undisturbed. I just had them swaddled separately next to each other on one side of me, and when one woke up I lifted them up and slid them closest to me to nurse lying on my side. I would repeat the slide/nurse move as often as it took to get through the night. It was actually nice because I could always tell who most needed to nurse in the morning by who was the furthest from my side of the bed. The one in the middle had nursed last.

Now that they are older (and still wake up to nurse 3-4 times a night, I am sorry to say), I have one on each side of me and just flip to the side of the child who wants to nurse. I feel like a stuck pig, and it's hard to get out of bed to pee, but they disturb each other less with me in the middle.

I hope that makes sense.
See less See more
We are 14 weeks at our house, so not far off you guys. We also make great use of the guest room - that's were dh has moved! Both of our girls get swaddled at bed time (not sure what I'm going to do when they grow out of those miracle blankets!)...me in the middle with one on each side. I've found lately that one will actually wait patiently while I nurse the other one, but if one is really fussy dh will grab her and walk her around while I finish nursing her sister. Some nights it takes a few 'back and forth' rounds before they finally both konk off. I have no idea how you sleep with that big cushion on you!! I think the swaddling has been a big factor in helping my girls to sleep...I only have 2 blankets and have had to go a couple of nights without using one and it definitely makes a difference...it's like it's their signal that it is now bedtime. They are terrible nappers during the day (never EVER longer than 45-60 minutes, and generally not at the same time), but their night time is not bad...generally 5-6 hours for the first stint, then one wakes up to nurse, then the other (strange, they never do this at the same time). We then go another 2 hours, nurse one then the other...then I get up with the older kids to say goodbye to them and get my 1 hour by MYSELF until they wake up around 8:30-9:00 am. I can't say that I'm fully comfortable with babies on either side, but I do get a lot more sleep since I'm laying down to feed them. I'm also starting to think it would be nice to sleep with dh again sometime! Oh, we only have a queen size bed...really need to upsize that!
See less See more
i tandem nursed them through the night lying down until very recently when i now sometimes rotate between them and put the other baby down. WOW! but they just turned 6 months, so i guess it had to happen at some point
See less See more
I can't get past that dh comment either. Mine are 3 and I'm still wondering when I'll want to join him for 10 minutes!

At that age they slept side by side in the middle of our king size bed, swaddled & btwn sleep positioners (so they didn't move around too much). I slept next to whichever one nursed last and switched as needed. Here's a pic and another one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
I can't get past that dh comment either. Mine are 3 and I'm still wondering when I'll want to join him for 10 minutes!

At that age they slept side by side in the middle of our king size bed, swaddled & btwn sleep positioners (so they didn't move around too much). I slept next to whichever one nursed last and switched as needed. Here's a pic and another one.
Okay that's how I sleep with my boys. Poor DH is in the guest room!
See less See more
i really need to get hip to the swaddling thing... i am just so bad at it.

it is absurd sleeping with the giant pillow strapped on to me, but it affords me so much sleep - one starts to stir and i just pop him right on. but i really need to get them used to being next to me, i think.

re: the dh thing - i was on bed/pelvic rest since oct, so am still feeling sorely deprived...
See less See more
I did the nursing pillow thing (like you) till about 2 or 3 months, then moved to me propped up on pillows and them beside me till around 6 months. (It was a yucky transition; they were too big to sleep on the nursing pillow anymore, and too little to latch on easily by themselves.)

By 6 months they were able to practically latch themselves on, or I would roll back and forth between them.
The first six weeks or so, I slept sitting up with babies on the EZ2Nurse pillow. That was the only way it worked with such frequent nursing. If DH came near me for "10 minutes" or whatever, I would have laughed at him anyway (at that point).

What worked for us the first few months after that was a king bed with a snap-down guard rail. SWADDLING really helps! Anyway, I'd get one baby swaddled and down to sleep, and place that baby next to the guard rail. Then I'd get the other one swaddled and down to sleep and put the second baby between me and the other baby. Then if the one next to me woke up, I'd nurse that one back to sleep sitting up or with pillows or whatever. If the one next to the rail woke up, I'd get that one on my lap, slide the other sleeping one over to the guard rail, nurse the one in my lap back to sleep, then put that one back down between me and the new rail baby. When they were that tiny, there was still plenty of room for me and DH with both babies in bed together.

What worked for us around 4-6 months through now is a modified cosleeping arrangement. We have a king bed with a snap down guardrail on my side of the bed, and a crib next to the bed (now a toddler bed as of a month or so ago).

Each night, I'd get one down for bed on my side next to the guard rail. The other would go to sleep, and then be placed into the crib. I'd then be able to snuggle with DH with plenty of room to get freaky (though it happened very rarely until the last 2 months). If bed baby woke up, I'd just nurse that one to sleep again. Whenever the crib baby would wake up, I'd bring that one into bed to sleep between me and DH. We'd swap out which one went down where each night to prevent head molding and also to make sure we weren't spoiling one and not the other
although if I noticed a spell where one slept better in the crib than the other I might use that to my advantage after a long day.
See less See more
We do the same thing as the PP who posted photos does/did, minus the sleep positioners. By now they're out of the swaddles, though. I just wake up and switch sides of the bed as I'm needed all night.
I literally wake up, switch the baby and I settled into position, and fall back asleep. Wake up with then next one starts rustling and repeat.

At 10 weeks I was still tandem feeding them, I think. Right around 12 weeks is when I stopped doing that. They take so long to nurse when they're that little, that I would have been nursing all night if I hadn't tandemed! I'd have to sit up & use the ez2nurse pillow just like you are.

The way you sleep with them on it and you just lean back--that's how I take naps with them. Every afternoon I do that (and have my 3 yr old nap next to us) and either have quiet time with them sleeping on me or lean back and get a little sleep myself.
See less See more
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.