Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I co-slept with my older 2 boys till they were around 6 months old and planned to do the same with this baby... but he has horrible reflux. We both wake up soaked every morning because he spits up so much and while he likes sleeping with me, he seems very uncomfortable lying flat! He sleeps much better in his bouncer, but he can't sleep in that at night. Is there anyway to keep him more upright but still in bed with me? A friend recommended a rock n play sleeper thing that keeps them more upright but is raised up so it is more bed height but I really like cosleeping. Is there anyway to make it work?

·
Registered
266 Posts
<p>I'd highly recommend getting an infant reflux wedge and putting it in bed next to you. I don't have time to give more detail now, but I replied to another thread where I describe the construction of the wedge as there are several types. We got ours covered by insurance :)</p>

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has a drs appt on December 3rd so I will ask about a wedge then... We have military insurance so I don't know if they will cover it but I will ask!! I could probably find something similar online...

·
Registered
300 Posts
<p>I had a baby like that and I was so sleep-deprived that it didn't occur to me until long after he grew out of it (around 10 mo) that it might have helped to put blocks under the head of a bed frame to raise it up.  We were on a double ikea mattress on the floor with no frame (and away from the wall) at the time, but for the cost of a cheap frame I could have slept with him in a room away from ds and made it safe, I think, if I chose carefully.   What we ended up doing was using a bouncer seat part-time, and sometimes, though it was not a great idea, I ended up falling asleep propped up on pillows with him on my chest.  I was really tired and could not think straight.  I hope that you find a good solution.</p>

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>I am going to ask his ped about a wedge at his appointment on the 3rd... ideally our insurance will cover one.  If not... I am not sure what we will do.  I can't think of any way to do it with our bed, I can't raise one end up because we are in the attic and the walls are slanted.  Maybe something with his pack n play...</p>

·
Registered
574 Posts
<p>My first child had horrible reflux & had to sleep in his swing at night, since it kept him more upright & he could be safely strapped in. The wedges I found at the time (6 years ago) were not high enough, and didn't seem stable for the baby; they could have improved since. For my current pregnancy, I've already purchased a Fisher Price Newborn Rocker. It's a bassinet, and OK for babies to sleep in -- but additionally they are at 45 degrees and strapped in. It will be immediately beside my bed, so breastfeeding shouldn't be a problem:</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://reviews.fisher-price.com/6194/51903/reviews.htm" target="_blank">http://reviews.fisher-price.com/6194/51903/reviews.htm</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FFisher-Price-Newborn-Rock-Sleeper-Yellow%2Fdp%2FB002M77N22" rel="norewrite" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Newborn-Rock-Sleeper-Yellow/dp/B002M77N22</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>You can see from the reviews that a lot of parents have found success for their reflux babies. As for the one comment about neck stability, I bought a Kiddopotamus Snuzzler.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck to you, reflux is hard.</p>

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<p>I have heard of the fisher price thing from a couple other people too... Ideally I could make something work with what we have or insurance will give us something but I think I will order that if I can't figure anything else out!</p>

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
<p>You know, people resort to all kinds of things with refluxers that won't/can't sleep on a hard, flat surface! I definitely slept with my refluxer1 on my chest. I had pillows propped behind me and under my arms so that I would not budge when sleeping. Another thing that worked for me with refluxer1 was for me to sleep slightly on my side, and then to prop up DS1 on my belly, so his legs were on the bed, and back/head on my belly. A pillow behind your back while reclining on your side would help for this position.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have resorted to using a snoogle pillow wrapped in a circle to keep refluxer2 propped a bit. He's nestled on both sides and under his legs to keep him from budging, the snoogle is not cushy, and he's swaddled, so at 10 weeks can't get into any strange positions. This morning, I slept with him for an hour with his body propped on the middle of the boppy, facing me, with my body on one arm of the boppy and my arm cradling his head up to complete the angle. There was a pillow under my arm. This was very comfortable for us, and no reflux! I've heard other people say they do something similar using pillows to prop. Of course, you have to be very mindful of safety!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>They also sell bed risers to prop up your actual bed (even Ikea has them I think), or a wedge might work. This never seemed to help for my refluxer1, though.</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts