Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our current situation:<br>
We have a queen size bed w/ a twin size bed pushed up to it in our bedroom.<br><br>
3.5 yr. old ds always starts the night in his own bed. Some nights he never joins us. Some nights he doesn't join us till almost morning. Some night he joins us early. He has co-slept part-time since birth, but did have a long stretch of staying in his own bed at one point.<br><br>
16 mos. old ds always starts the night in his own crib (shares bedroom w/ other son.) I end up bringing him in our bed in the night every night (he still night nurses.) He has co-slept part-time since birth.<br><br>
No one really likes sleeping on the twin bed. We can put the boys over there and they always make their way over to us. Dh usually ends up clinging to the edge of the bed and very uncomfortable. He doesn't move to the twin bed cuz the mattress is not good for his back. We don't really mind co-sleeping, but it would be nice to have some space.<br><br>
My question......<br>
what happens when the new baby comes at the end of August? I am not comfortable having the boys sleep next to the baby but with all the changing places they do in the night, it seems inevitable. I do not even want the boys in our room for fear that the younger one will wake and want me every time the baby does. Granted he has 8 months to mature, but I'm still concerned. I do plan to have him weaned in a few mos. cuz I do not want to tandem nurse. Dh and I are thinking of just moving the twin bed out soon so that we will be reminded to take our older son back to his bed everytime he comes in. We would like the boys to adjust to not sleeping with us long before baby comes. Plans also include moving them into a different bedroom than their current one and putting them in the same bed to co-sleep with each other.<br><br>
Who has been in this position? How did you transition the kids out of your room? or how did it go having everyone in the same bed, including a new baby?<br><br>
I don't think keeping us all together is meant for us, at least not till baby is older. Ideally, I'd like to see the twin bed out of our room and the boys together in their own bed.<br><br>
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My youngest son started sleeping with his brother when he was 2. I was taking medication including sometimes IV medication and did not feel comfortable co-sleeping. He was my youngest to wean, before his 3rd birthday, and I think not co-sleeping may have led to his weaning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts