Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for all of you experienced co-sleepers. I am 34 weeks pregnant and have a co-sleeping 2-year-old. We don't want to change anything and have purchased an Arm's Reach co-sleeper for the babe so everyone can sleep together. My question though is for the 1-2 two nights I am at the hospital. She is very attached to me and has only recently (in the last 4-6 months) been able to stay with her daddy and my parents while I run an errand. It will be hard for both of us to be separated while I am at the hospital but I really don't think it is a good idea for her to be at the birth. My parents will be with my dd while I am in labor but will bring her to see us after the baby is born. I don't know if she will handle leaving the hospital without me, I don't know if the hospital will allow her to sleep at the hospital if she doesn't leave, I don't know if she will fall asleep at home without me or if she will be able to sleep without me. I think she can manage OK during the day but I am still struggling with how to handle nighttime. I currently am the only one who gets her to sleep by lying down with her. I am also worried about just dh or even grandma sleeping with her and just not being as aware of where she is in bed. As you can tell, I have a lot of anxiety about this and I know I need to get it resolved in my own mind before I can relax and feel ready to have this baby! Anyone who has experience with this or just insights and ideas please respond! Thank you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know some hospitals do have rules about the ages of little visitors. I would maybe do a trial run with your daughter and the grandparents. I know there will be many times your attention will have to be with the new baby and you won't always be able to lay down with her.<br>
I know it is going to be really hard!!! Have you called the hospital to see what their policy is? That might help you.<br><br>
Wish you luck!!!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I second the trial run. Maybe more than one time before you go. Perhaps you can start having your dh handle bed time 3 or 4 nights a week (starting off with one or two nights a week and working your way to 3 or 4 nights a week). Do the grandparents live nearby? Maybe they can come to your house and do bed time one night a week while you go out to a book store or a movie to relax.<br><br>
Good luck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice! I will call the hospital and also look into doing some trial runs. For some reason, I didn't get any emails alerting me to the fact that there were responses, I was really getting anxious thinking I had stumped everyone and no one else has ever gone through this!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts