Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so annoyed and dissappointed with all the press on this woman going back to work 5 hours after birth and how "impressive" that is????? WHAT!!!!!! THere is no mention of how that may affect the breastfeeding relationship, the bonding, not to mention the overall HEALTH of the baby. THe infant needs to be close to his mamma at this very important time of his tiny life, preferably skin to skin, with quiet and no a lot of interruption by outsiders. I am just completely blown away by the culture we are living in that the mainstream press does not even aknowledge that there is something wrong hereQ!!!!! Breastfeeding has not even been mentioned in any press I have heard. Any other thoughts on this??

·
Registered
595 Posts
I was thinking about my 2 births, yes the first one I could have gotten up to leave the hospital, not that MY Dr would let me do this, or the baby. Then the second one I hemorrhaged and could not move for days (or at least felt like it).

What did the baby do? Who took care of him/her (I can't remember)? How could you be separated from your baby for 10 minutes let alone hours? I also noticed that there was no reference to breastfeeding. But the press reassured us that the baby was well taken cared for, I told dh "Sure with substandard milk by a mom substitute, which dad isn't even good enough for in the first few hours. So much for bonding."

I hope both she and the baby were safe. I hope the baby is back with mom bonding and that she doesn't continue to put b-ball in front of dchild.

JennP

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thankfully at least one news report commented on the
: of it all! The weather/traffic reporter on our local news thought the coach was crazy too. After the anchorman talked about the story and then transitioned to the traffic, she said something sarcastic and disapproving along the lines of "Yeah, you know, because bonding with the baby isn't important!"

·
Registered
311 Posts
My first thought was "Where is the baby??!" I couldn't imagine leaving my newborn! At 5 hours pp I was (sitting on an icepack) nursing my dd- you know Bonding!! I'm disgusted by this woman.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The US is one of the few cultures that actually encourages this behavior. I have been very lucky to work with people various parts of Asia (China, Japan, Korea and India) and they have said that we are probably the only country where a mother's NEED to be with her baby and to just plain recover are overlooked. Elsewhere they seem to encourage and respect these needs. In the US we seem to expect women to do EVERYTHING all at once which is not healthy. I fear though that this mentality is spreading as American culture permeates elsewhere and encourages a faster, higher standard of living.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I'm hoping that we hear that she's got the baby with her and nursing etc. If you think about it, if one HAD to get back to work after giving birth, as long as baby came too, bf would be far easier to manage than ff.

Theoretically, with support from the administration, I'd think that college coaching *could* be quite flexible about children/infants being at practice. I know that a lot of the College Game Day specials show toddlers/kids at practice while their dads are working with players ... if I had a babe in a sling or something, I think I could probably coach pretty well.
If I were a coach.

That said - I know some women feel great after giving birth, my tailbone feels like it's poking out of my back, but my mom and older sister both just raved about how nice it was to give birth and feel normal again (both NCB and bf) - so maybe she's one of those lucky ones?

I'm really, really hoping we hear more and see the baby with her. But how she could take a baby to a game (with all that noise), I don't know. Even with ear plugs for baby, I'd worry.

I think it's sickening, if babe isn't with mom, that this is being celebrated. IIRC an East Coast governor gave birth, and she moved her office to her home for awhile and worked from home/bed in the first few months - maybe with twins? At least, I think that's the way the story went. THAT should be celebrated, far more than a mom leaving her newborn and going back to work immediately.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I hadn't read the story.... man o man

I can't imagine not being there.... I'm going back to work in the middle of a week so I can get my whole 12 weeks of FMLA. (Which turns out to be 14 1/2 weeks!!!
) I can't imagine WANTING to go back... was she being pressured by coworkers or something? I think that it's horrible that people are pressured into giving up quality time with their children because of what other people want.

That's just my opinion though...

Kim

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I went looking and here is the full AP article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2948307

Still being Pollyanna here but maybe she was just so caught up in that energy rush after birth that she got carried away, and hospital staff told her, "Oh, babe will be OK without you for a couple hours." Not that they were necessarily correct, but I can see a ftm trusting them, and wanting to support her players too.... She did plan her pregnancy to coincide with the end of the season ....

I don't want to be away from my babes at all for months after birth though, I can't imagine it.

ETA -- the ASU coach (Charli Thorne?) did this in 2002 too although I think it was more than 5 hours btw birth and game. Also celebrated as a sign of her dedication.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
ugghhh I am sad to say I went to U of NE at Kearney for a year (13 or so years ago) That is insane to me.
She said she was 3 minutes late and how she is on her team to be on time but guesses they understood why she was.....huh??? wow... no way... poor baby!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
One of the partners at the firm where I used to work was fond of telling a story of a friend of hers who was checking her blackberry and emailing about a closing she was involved with all throughout labor.

Luckily the reason this story is getting so much attention is because almost no one would ever think of doing it. It would be nice if it wasn't referred to as being "impressive" however.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
And so the mommy-wars invade MDC again

Snap judgments aren't very pleasant to endure - surely the mamas who've dealt with negativity for extended BFing (or delaying solids... or not vaxing) can attest to that.

Her decision to attend the game so soon after birth is probably not one I would have made, but I don't think anyone can claim to know enough of the situation based on that article alone to judge her "disgusting", "ua violation", or what have you. For example, the article mentions nothing about how long she stayed at the game - just that she showed up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.