Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make a patio in my backyard and a walkway in the front.I was thinking of using a concrete mold to do it.Any advice?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but these looked really cool. <a href="http://www.magma.ca/~robicho/rhubarb.htm" target="_blank">http://www.magma.ca/~robicho/rhubarb.htm</a>

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<a href="http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/85825-cobblestone-mold.html" target="_blank">This</a> is what I was thinking of but those are great!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Rere: We have that exact same mold, and it is really easy to use!<br><br>
We used it to make a path through our garden 9 years ago (I was 6 months pregnant at the time) and we completed a path that is approximately 75' long (plus some wider sitting areas) in a day. It has held up beautifully. Our Winters get lots of snow and below-zero temps, Summers are often above 100 degrees. It still looks great.<br><br>
If you are doing a small area, you could mix the concrete in a pail. But, I highly recommend renting or borrowing a small mixer (we used a neighbor's) to do the work faster and more easily.<br><br>
You'll need quick-crete, a couple of good trowels and a stiff brush (a couple of kitchen spatulas make nice finished edges!).<br><br>
The area to be paved will need some prep-work. Really take the time to do this properly as it makes the long-lasting result worth it! Make sure the area you are going to "pave" with the stones is clean, level and, for added stability, layered & leveled smoothly with sand. We also lined our path with weed blocking material before adding the sand to make sure weeds wouldn't pop-up.<br><br>
Put your mold down, pour in the concrete, smooth it nicely (see below for a neat fossil idea!), wait a minute and lift off the mold. Smooth any rough spots (those spatulas are good for this) and move onto the next set of stones, right next to the first. You can change the direction of this mold and it will still fit perfectly with the previous stones you made (good for turning corners!) After it has dried well (give it several days, to make sure!), give ti a good sweeping and either sweep good soil in between the stones and/or plant thyme or other ground cover (smells wonderful when you step on it and is very forgiving!) OR sweep small pea-gravel in between. You want something that will help hold the stones apart and look good, as well. We used the gravel and wsh we'd used thyme instead. The gravel <span style="text-decoration:underline;">has</span> packed-down over the years. We are planning on adding soil now and putting in the thyme this Summer. I know we'll like it better (but, the gravel has held up beautifully and does look nice).<br><br>
Use quick-crete and we tinted it with some brown cement dye we purchased from Lowe's. We also pressed various flowers (daisies work the best) and leaves and a few feathers, face-down, into the wet concrete while the mold was still surrounding it, and let them wear themselves off the dried concrete. They look like fossils and it is a nice little touch to the design!<br><br>
You could have your daughter pressed pretty glass decorator stones (find them in the craft or aquarium section) into a few of the paving stones for her own special touch. Don't forget to press her handprints (footprints are cute, too!) and add her name and date to a stone!<br><br>
We also pressed each of our hands into one stone and put the date we made the path. Another nice touch!<br><br>
It's funny you would ask about this mold as dh just got our mold out so we can add to the existing path. We want to put in some additional wider areas to highlight the ponds we added.<br><br>
We've loaned our mold to a lot of folks and everyone really likes the finished look and ease of using it.<br><br>
I think you'll really like it, too. It isn't expensive either. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW!Thanks so much for all the info.My husband is afraid that the concrete will fall apart quickly.It's nice to hear from someone who has done it.Especially from someone who has the same weather as us.Plus thanks for the great ideas for impressions.And I absolutely love the thyme idea!I'm getting really excited about it!Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts