Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 19mo DD is starting daycare next week, and I see on the menu that they serve hot cocoa with breakfast a couple times a week.

I know, I know, it's just cocoa, not crack, but I'd prefer my DD didn't have it.
She's never had anything cocoa-based before, and I'm concerned about a) potential allergies and b) giving my DD a sugary chocolate drink when she would be perfectly happy with just milk or water. She's too little to realise what she "missing out" on, so why give it to her?

What do you guys think? Would it be ridiculously uptight of me to ask that they give her milk instead? I doubt it will be too much hassle for them. I'm just wondering whether I'm turning into one of "those" mothers.

· Registered
158 Posts
Nope, I don't think it is ridiculous at all. Daycares are pretty used to substitution requests because of allergies anyway.

When DS was in daycare, we requested that he be given water instead of juice. No one gave us a hard time about it at all.

· Registered
10,748 Posts
It sounds strange to me to give a 19 month old hot cocoa anyway. Why would they want to put so much sugar into a bunch of kids? They're the ones that have to deal with the energy. I'm surprised they don't give it to them right before they go home!! I'd say it certainly doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe when she's older, if she's still at the same daycare, you could let her have it once in a while, but that seems a little young.

· Registered
548 Posts
is it like Swiss mix, a packet mixed with hot water? or is the cocoa real, wholefatmilk with some cocoa powder and sugar/honey? if it was wholemilk madewith lightly, naturally sweetened cocoa id say it wasfine formykid, but not if it was powdered milk crap. when myson was in daycarei didnt want him having non-organic milk so they gave him oat or rice milk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.