Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few threads where people say they use coconut milk in their smoothies. I'd like to try this and I'm wondering where you get your coconut milk. Do you extract it yourselves? buy it from a can (if so, is it as good for you when it comes from a can)? Any recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
We've found that our local "Oriental Mart" is by far the cheapest place for coconut milk. It costs $.75/can there. I haven't seen it for less than $1.99 any where else.

I don't use it in smoothies, but we do make quite a few Indian dishes with it. I would also say that if anyone is watching their fat intake, sometimes a can has up to 90 grams. We buy the lite kind because both of DH's parents have had heart attacks (and neither is obese) and he's been warned by nutritionists to watch how much fat he eats.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Everytime I make a smoothie I add coconut milk!
DDeelicious!!
I have both bought it and made my own.
It is less thick when you make yourself...I prefer the can.
I found some tonight at the local grocery in the mexican isle, and usually it cost around $2.
Good Luck

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
IIRC, the liquid you get out of a coconut is not the same as coconut milk. Go figure. I think I read that here, so someone else can maybe confirm or deny.

It's yummy though -- I try to keep it on hand for smoothies, curries, baking, etc.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I worked in a raw foods deli where we had fresh cocnut milk in every smoothie- it is very different from canned. It is more like a sweet water when its fresh and its really good for you, because it thins the blood. The canned stuff I use in curries, too, but its nothing like wonderful fresh coconut milk!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Yup, coconut water is different from the milk. The water is cloudy, and slightly sweet, while the milk is thick, and creamy. I use the milk for curries, and desserts. I haven't used the water though, because its hard to find fresh coconuts here, they're mostly imported frozen.

In south east asia, coconut water from young coconuts is drunk as a drink with bits of coconut flesh. The flesh tastes like slightly chewy "jello".

A word of warning though, drink too much coconut water, and you could end up with the runs! (ie. diarrhea)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts