Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem I've never dealt with before... weight gain. I am gaining weight for no reason! and I'm eating healthier than ever before. I do think it was b/c of some nasty antidepressants I was on. over the course of a few years I gained like 50 lbs (not including the weight i gained and lost with two pregnancies!) I am much heavier than I ever was now and I'm finding it really hard to lose or even maintain. (one "bad meal" an I gain back everything I lost all week!) I used to be very trim and full of energy -- even when I ate fastfood for every meal as a teen. and i'm only 26 now.

when I tried to get off the meds I read a lot of people gained weight after going off of them. This happened to me and I immediately gained 17lbs! (in like 3 mos) yikes! so I finally went on a not very healthy diet and lost about 14 of those lbs and now I am stuck. it's been over a year. and to add to my problem I seem to have some kinda grain sensitivity now. When I eat anything with wheat in it (or any type of sugar including fruit) I bloat like crazy and I can gain like 4 lbs in one day! I really look 6/7 mos pregnant after one meal! it's so embarrassing!

I am VERY frustrated with this. I'm spending all this time, effort and money trying to be healthy yet I feel terrible. Which brings me to my question. I haven't tried using the coconut oil yet as I am still kinda new to the NT thing... I hear it can help you loose weight but I can't really understand how. Do I need to replace other fats with it? or add it to other fats? as it stands the only things I can eat that have no ill effects on my digestive system (and weight) are meats, eggs, femented veggies, yogurts, raw cheese, and a few green veggies. anything else including fruits, rices, and high sugar veggies bother me greatly.

I'm so depressed and discouraged by this!!
: I will never ever ever put another so called "antidepressant" in my body again as I feel this has screwed with me so much (I won't even get into the long list of other side effects I'm suffering from it- I'll save that for another thread!)

I need to get my body back into shape -- and not just on the outside! but the inner workings too!

TIA!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Two things come to mind. 1: antidepressants are notorious for causing leaky gut syndrom.. You need to heal your gut!

2: where do you store the fat?Is your belly bigger then your hips? (is the circumference more then 1:1?) how about your triglycerites? Do you have any idea what they look like ( that means blood work?) From what you say you digest well, it sounds like you might have a touch of the ol' syndrom x/metabolic syndrom. Maybe you could do a search and see of some of the things you read seem to make sense...

As for the coconut oil...it is supposed to speed metabolism for one, but another thing id (I think) that you take a tblspoon before eating and that makes you feel full and satisfied sooner ( and boy does it ever!)

Tanya

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
HennyPenny I can really identify with you. I am eating healthy also and the scale seems to be at a stand still, it is so frustrating
: . Anyway I have decided to just keep eating right and something has to happen. Currently I am on an antidepressant and it has evened out my mood, but probably at the expense of other things. Eventually I would like to be free on taking them. Anyway a good resource about coconut oil and its benefits is the book by Sally Fallon Eat Fat, Lose Fat ( the same author of NT) anyway I have heard that it is very helpful ( I need to get it myself, I just have NT) but try not to get discouraged, keep eating right and seeking out what works best for you. Nikki
: .

·
Registered
582 Posts
Don't be afraid to go to your doctor too. There are medical reasons for not losing weight, including things like thyroid and PCOS/pre-diabetes. I actually wonder about the pre-diabetes since you seem to have trouble with the very foods that are troublesome to me.

I personally can never lose weight while eating grains, more than 1 fruit a day, or drinking milk. (I can eat yogurt and kefir). I also have to avoid other natural sugars like honey and maple syrup. Even "safe" things like agave nectar and rapadura are off limits. Basically, I need to eat low carb.

I can maintain fine eating whole foods, including carbs, but I can never lose, even exercising a lot. I also hit a wall where I couldn't lose a pound no matter what I did until I was diagnosed with PCOS and started metformin.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharondio View Post
I also hit a wall where I couldn't lose a pound no matter what I did until I was diagnosed with PCOS and started metformin.
what exactly is PCOS? tell me more baoutnit if you don't mind. thanks!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcarwyn View Post
Two things come to mind. 1: antidepressants are notorious for causing leaky gut syndrom.. You need to heal your gut!

2: where do you store the fat?Is your belly bigger then your hips? (is the circumference more then 1:1?) how about your triglycerites? Do you have any idea what they look like ( that means blood work?) From what you say you digest well, it sounds like you might have a touch of the ol' syndrom x/metabolic syndrom. Maybe you could do a search and see of some of the things you read seem to make sense...
I store my fat in my belly and hips. I didn't used to store any in my hips until my last child was born (odd how the can change you so much!) I have lost a ton a weight after my first kid and got down to about 10-12 lbs bigger than prepregnany and I was totally happy with that. (about 135-140). But my skin never ever went back. so b/c I have very very flabby rolls of "empty" skin on my stomache and sides they are now the first to fill up with fat when I gain even a lb. I also gain it a bit everywhere else too like upper arms and such. Since my last pregnancy almost 2 years ago I've hardly been able to lose a lb! and I really do feel I'm exceptionally healthy (ok I have a soda now and agian... but certainly not enough to be fat!) so I've very exaughsted with this weight thing. seriously fighting it this long really takes an emotional toll on you. I feel so defeated and down about it. my self confidence in so low in every area of life you know? blah. I feel so self absorbed having to count every calorie and overwhelmed with my low self esteem.

forgive me I'm totally gushing here, but it's very difficult to seperate the factual from the emotional when it comes to weight you know?

honestly I don't know what triglycerites are! *blush* but I will surely look into it!!

thank you for the advice and do give more if you have any. I have enjoyed your comments here on the NT forum a lot!

·
Registered
759 Posts

I do totally know what it feels like....After having been chubby all my life I finally got skinny in my mid 20's ( living on coffee and cigarets, not healthy at all...but skinny...) Then ofcourse with my two pregnancies it all came back and then some. Not that I ate a ton or bad stuff or even gained alot of weight, it just ook me forever to loose it again. Now, nearly 2 years after my last girl was born I am feeling like I am almost back to normal ( not skinny by any means...just feeling right in my skin)

Anyways, what has really helped me is eating low carb. It might be a fad right now but it is also the way humans have been eating for millions of years. It was amazing how quckly I could loose weight eating low carb. I now dont eat very low carb at all...I just eat very very little grain and no sugar. I am not a huge fruit eater, but Ii eat maybe one piece a day or so...

Anyway...you'll get there...love your body and it will love you back....

Tanya

1 - 7 of 7 Posts