Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am just discovering coconut oil and my petite 4-year-old DS likes it so much he'll eat it off a spoon. After 2 weeks, his color and energy have both improved. He does not drink cow's milk or dairy and he dislikes avocado so I see this as a potentially good source of fat in his diet. Right now, he is taking 1 tsp of Nordic Naturals CLO, 1 tsp of Udo's Oil and 1/2 tsp of coconut oil a day. Does this sound like a good health-promoting balance? How much coconut oil a day is beneficial?<br><br>
P.S. I found the traditional foods subforum after I posted in Nutrition and Good Eating and x-posted.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I personally would skip the Udo's oil and give him a lot more coconut oil. IIRC Uod's oil has some omega's 6's and most people get far too many of those anyway. You can give him as much coconut oil as he likes and tolerates. My 2 year old is intolerant to coconut oil but I give her 3-4 Tbsp a day of butter, and I wouldn't have a problem with giving her that much coconut oil if she tolerated it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember eating bacon and butter sandwiches as a child -- they were my favorite. If only I could get DS to eat butter.<br><br>
Out of curiosity, how did you know your child was intolerant of coconut? DS has a bit of eczema around his mouth that is new and he doesn't have a history of eczema. But the benefits I've seen his his body seem to far exceed the eczema spot if it's being caused by the oils. Because I started the Udos and coconut at the same time, it's hard for me to tell at this point. I wondered if maybe it was the sesame oil in the Udo's.<br><br>
If left to his own devices, I suspect DS would eat a couple of tablespoons a day.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Luck, basically--she got sick for a while and wouldn't eat it anymore for a couple of weeks, and when she started eating it again she clearly reacted to it. Although there were indications before that that she reacted as whenever I put it on her eczema (coconut oil is supposed to be good for eczema) the eczema got worse.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Sesame is a top allergen right now, many are seeing anaphylactic reactions like peanut... including my DS.<br><br>
You can try putting both on his skin (elim. from diet for a few days) cover w/ bandaid and see if you notice a reaction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts