Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Coconut, olive, flax, etc... are all plant based. Dogs, as carnivores, need animal based proteins/oils. The only supplement in my opinion that a dog needs is Omega-3 from a wild source of fish body oil.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dogs are on organic dog food-can I add omega 3 into their dog food as additional source especially for my female boxer who has mange?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes, you can add it or just give your dog the capsules. Try to find one where the EPA and DHA add up to at least 300. A lot of rawfeeders suggest 1,000mg for every 30 pounds and increasing that for therapeutic reasons (mange would be one of those reasons).<br><br>
I would highly suggest switching to a totally raw diet consisting of raw meat, bones and organs.<br><br>
I had a 3 month old foster puppy with mange (her was a min-pin/doxie mix). Before the shelter would release him to the rescue they insisted on vaccinating AND neutering in spite of the fact that he was unhealthy (mange). Anyway, I fed him raw and gave him 3,000mg of O-3 everyday (started with 500mg and increased it by 500mg everyday for bowel tolerance - he could "handle" 3,000mg but no 3,500mg). Within 5 days he was already starting to heal and he was adopted 3 weeks to the day after he came here. He never had a dip or any medications. I used a squirt bottle with lavendar and purified water (15 drops to 1 quart of water) for relief but after day 3 he stopped scratching all together.<br><br>
Feeding raw helps the immune system to function properly and mange is a direct result of the immune system not funcitioning properly.<br><br>
Good Luck!<br>
Christy

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Also probiotics help bolster the immune system. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria in the gut that are necessary for proper digestion and the extraction of vitamins from the food.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are these omega 3 and probiotics regular human pill forms that I can get at the store, can I feed those to my boxer, or does it have to be made specifically for dogs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts