Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this? I didnt really find anything on it when i did a search here (albeit, i am at work, so i have limited search time lol).

I was cruising "The Nourishing Gourmet" blog and came across this topic and it sounds really interesting, especially since I would love to get off of refined/processed sugar.

Anyone else using coconut sugar? If so, what's it taste like?

· Registered
742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Lioness View Post
Anyone have any experience with this? I didnt really find anything on it when i did a search here (albeit, i am at work, so i have limited search time lol).

I was cruising "The Nourishing Gourmet" blog and came across this topic and it sounds really interesting, especially since I would love to get off of refined/processed sugar.

Anyone else using coconut sugar? If so, what's it taste like?
I've never had coconut sugar, but I've gotten palm sugar before (at an Asian grocery). IIRC, it's sticky and has to be refrigerated. It's gooey (for lack of a more scientific term!), kinda like thick molasses with some graininess to it. (Again, this is if I recall correctly! it's been a few years.)

I just use sucanat these days myself, but if I ever saw coconut sugar I would definitely pick it up!

· Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elecampane View Post
I've never had coconut sugar, but I've gotten palm sugar before (at an Asian grocery). IIRC, it's sticky and has to be refrigerated. It's gooey (for lack of a more scientific term!), kinda like thick molasses with some graininess to it. (Again, this is if I recall correctly! it's been a few years.)

I just use sucanat these days myself, but if I ever saw coconut sugar I would definitely pick it up!

What is sucanat?

· Registered
10,748 Posts
I use palm sugar. It comes in cakes at the Asian market, and you have to break it up. I just ordered some online though (maybe from amazon.com) that was granulated in a foil pouch. I use it in my blueberry pie, and other things. DS can't have cane sugar, and DD can't have beet sugar, so I use alternative sugars: date sugar, palm sugar, maple sugar (granulated), maple syrup, tapioca syrup, and sorghum syrup. To me, the palm sugar doesn't taste any different. It just takes longer to melt. Oh, I also use agave.

· Registered
2,309 Posts
Sucanat is a dried, unrefiend sugar. It's still got the molasses in it and it is granular. You replace it one for one with white sugar.

I use palm and coconut sugars from the asian market, since they were cheaper than sucanat. I use it one for one to replace rapadura- it's not so wet as to make any difference in measurements.

· Registered
8,340 Posts
There are threads, I've started some.

I have coconut sugar from the Asian grocer. The ingredients are: coconut sugar 99.9% & sulfur dioxide - .1%. I haven't found any w/o the sulfur, but I'd love to.

You have to be REALLY careful when buying/ordering palm sugars - the are frequently cut with white cane sugar!!

· Registered
1,035 Posts
First of all, let me say:

We use the Sri Lankan version, jaggery, which I think is darker than most other Asian palm sugars, so we mostly use it to replace brown sugar or maple syrup as it is stronger tasting than white sugar. We usually grate it as we use it (over oatmeal, pancakes, for puddings, etc). But when I need a larger quantity for baking, I usually get out a hammer and pound it into granules.

One traditional way of consuming it is to put a small chip under the tongue as you sip your tea...just a perfect hint of sweetness!

· Registered
5,411 Posts
I got some from my asian store and I just can't figure out how to use it. I tried putting it in tea and it made it taste weird enough that I didn't want to drink the tea. Mine is also in a cake and in little shell shaped things. I've been breaking the shells to put in tea but i gave up when I didn't like the taste.

I can't qutie figure out how to use the cake. I don't do much baking but if I did would I just scrape it until I had a cup of it or whatever?

· Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aw, thanks everyone!

Im kinda mad that some people are cutting it with white sugar, i mean does it say that on the label or anything. Ugh.

Anywho, im very interested in trying it and i'll probably look up that sucanat too, Elecampane , because that sounds good as well.

· Registered
10,748 Posts
The palm sugar I got online actually said palm sugar, sugar, so they did admit they were cutting it. I've shaved it using a little shredder, I've broken it up with my hands, when I use it in blueberry pie, it just melts. Now I want to find some coconut sugar too though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.