Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a bottle of Carlson's Norweigan Cod Liver Oil. I thought I got a really good deal (all the vits and supps are on sale right now at our HFS), and I was excited about only having to take one teaspoon a day. Well, until I read the recommended dosage information on the WAPF site: http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...-oil-menu.html.

If I have to take enough to get all of the vitamin A they're recommending, that's something like 15tsp a day!!! At that rate, the bottle will only last me for four days, since it has 50 1tsp servings in it.....
: The WAPF info says I need 50,000 IU of vit A in my cod liver oil every day, but mine only has 700 IU to 1,200 IU per teaspoon. The bottle says that daily use is just one teaspoonful a day...

So, do I REALLY need 50,000 IU of Vitamin A in my cod liver oil, every day? I guess I should ask my mw too...

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
You can get vit A from plenty of other sources. Cod liver oil is beneficial for making sure your body has enough omega-3's. Stick with the bottle recommendation, or whatever professional reccomendation for omega 3's for pregnancy you're using and find other ways to get more vit A. There are some natural pregnancy supplements out there if you're goal is to stay away from synthetics. Or you could just try to eat vit a rich foods. This link has a list of vit a rich foods, and I'm sure there are plenty more online.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-Fact/5000/5551.html

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
You can get vit A from plenty of other sources. Cod liver oil is beneficial for the omega-3's it has. Stick with the bottle recommendation, or whatever professional reccomendation for omega 3's for pregnancy you're using and find other ways to get more vit A. There are some natural pregnancy supplements out there if you're goal is to stay away from synthetics. Or you could just try to eat vit a rich foods. This link has a list of vit a rich foods, and I'm sure there are plenty more online.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-Fact/5000/5551.html
Thanks for the link! I eat most of that stuff on a regular basis anyway (esp. since I'm on the Brewer Diet), so that makes me feel better. I thought the WAPF recommendation seemed a little excessive!

I'll ask my mw how much I should be taking. I haven't gotten to ask her yet, I just knew I needed it.

I take the Rainbow Light Prenatal One, so that's definitely keeping me away from synthetics. I'm trying to be pretty discriminating in label reading for the other things I have to take too (vit c, garlic oil, cal/mag, etc.).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Question about the Cod Liver Oil from Carlson. I am considering buying it to up my Omega 3s in the third trimester and post partum and know they have been tested for contaminants. Are the Vitamins D and A in this brand the natural stuff or do they take it out and add it again, which I heard is less good. You may have done the research and I am hitching a ride....

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Libelle View Post
Question about the Cod Liver Oil from Carlson. I am considering buying it to up my Omega 3s in the third trimester and post partum and know they have been tested for contaminants. Are the Vitamins D and A in this brand the natural stuff or do they take it out and add it again, which I heard is less good. You may have done the research and I am hitching a ride....

From what it looks like on the bottle, they are naturally there, not removed and replaced again. That's what I take from it, anyway...

·
Registered
302 Posts
I eat that way too -- as per www.westonaprice.org. I take Garden of Life cod liver oil, 1 Tbsp / day. (This brand is found in most natural food stores and it doesn't add synthetic A and D in like many brands do). I think that's 15,000 iu or something. Also, liver is a wonderful source of vit. A. and would help raise the vit. A iu. WAPF recommends eating liver from organic, grass-fed sources once a week. It can actually taste good cooked up with butter, onions and nitrite-free bacon. If liver once a week is unrealistic for you (as it is for me), then you can get liver powder in a bottle from a ND. Just make sure it is from grass-fed, org. source.

Personally, even though I follow WAPF, I haven't been getting anywhere near 50,000 iu. I just do the Garden of Life cod liver oil and liver powder and try to cook up some liver once in a while.

Good luck!
Mamaonthefarm

·
Registered
629 Posts
Apparently most of the manufacturers of COL are now taking the natural A and D out when purifying...and replacing with synthetic! And there isn't as much either. I am taking one recommended on the WAP site, you can read about COL here:

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html

The one I am taking is Blue Ice High Vitamin Cod Liver oil and you *don't* have to take 15 tsp...for pregnant women it's less than 1 T.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Vitamin A should be monitored during pregnancy because too much can cause birth defects. That is why all prenatal vitamins have less Vit A than other formulations. I would try not to exceed 10,000 IU supplementally.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Read the WAP site about Vit. A toxicity though, they claim that natural vit. A is safe in doses up to 10 X that of synthetic vit. A, and additionally that the vit. D found in pastured animal products is protective against vit. A toxicity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.